cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ehatem
Level: Powered On

Populate Excel Model with Data from a Single Opportunity Record in Dynamics

I am looking to create a flow that:

1. Gets a specific record in Dynamics 365 and the field values of that record. 

2. Then I would like it to take those field values and either populate a table inside an single excel model (think of this as a pricing model for an opportunity, rather than a table for aggregate analysis) that is stored in OneDrive. 

OR

I would like it to populate specific cell references inside of a single excel model i.e put Opportunity Name in cell A12 and Price in cell B9

So far, I have not been able to find an integration that does the latter. It seems like the "Add Record" excel action would do the trick, but to no avail so far. Seems like a straightforward task so I want to see if any in the community has done this already.

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Re: Populate Excel Model with Data from a Single Opportunity Record in Dynamics

@ehatem 

Hi there, welcome!

Short version: Yes, I think it's totally possible, but have a couple of clarifying questions.

1. What are you wanting to trigger the whole thing? Or is this a manual process?
  2. What information will you use to select the correct record in D365?
  3. Are you looking to populate/update a specific row in Excel?  Or just add a row at the end?  In your second example, would it always be the same cells (ie A12, B9)? Or will that change for each record from D365?

Thanks!

-Ed

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ehatem ,

As far as I know, the existing actions in MS Flow can only insert data into  Excel table, and cannot directly insert data into the cell specified in the Sheet.

If you want similar features to be supported by MS Flow, please consider submitting your suggestions in the Flow Idea forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

You could also consider defining an Excel table in an Excel file and creating two fields, Opportunity Name and Price.

Then use Add a row into a table action to insert the data in the specified record into the table.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Super User
Super User

@v-bacao-msft Barry,

Definitely add the data to a table, but then couldn't @ehatem use a macro to copy the data to the appropriate fields?  I think I saw somewhere about launching macros from PowerShell, and then running PowerShell scripts from Flow.

Inelegant, but doable.  Depends on the mission, right?

ehatem
Level: Powered On

Answers to your questions in italics:

1. What are you wanting to trigger the whole thing? Or is this a manual process?

The trigger would be clicking on "run a flow" from within a Opportunity record in Dynamics 365

2. What information will you use to select the correct record in D365?

The Opportunity record ID, although I am not sure of the mechanics of referencing the Opportunity ID of the record that a flow was launched from. 

3. Are you looking to populate/update a specific row in Excel?  Or just add a row at the end?  In your second example, would it always be the same cells (ie A12, B9)? Or will that change for each record from D365?

My ideal solution would be populate specific cell references in the excel model. e.g. put Opportunity.Amount in cell B75. It would always go to the same cells in the excel model.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 238 members 4,960 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: