cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mogulman
Level 8

Enter Text Into Combobox

I want to enter a new company in a combobox that is not currently  in list.

Background

I'm using SQL Server. I have a Contact form.  I have a combobox on form with a collection.  The collection is an SQL view containing a list of distinct companies that are currently in database.   If the company is not in list I want to enter the name and save it.   The definition of a combobox is you can either select an existing name or enter a name.  Every combobox I ever used allows this behavior. How can I do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
mogulman
Level 8

Re: Enter Text Into Combobox

Mona, thanks for the reply.  I took the simple solution.  Rather than overlay the combobox on the underlying data field.  I offset the underlying data field down 50px.  I added a label to the combobox saying Company Lookup.  You can either select company from combobox or enter the company in the underlying field.

Combobox.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @mogulman,

So far there is no direct way to achieve this using combo box. I have found an idea submitted asking for the same feature. Please vote here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Combo-Box-Text-Entry/idi-p/93797

The workaround is that when use do not select an option in combo box, you could use Patch to update the record. The formula should be something like:

Patch(Table1,Defaults(Table1),{Column:TextInput1.Text})

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
mogulman
Level 8

Mona, thanks for the reply.  I took the simple solution.  Rather than overlay the combobox on the underlying data field.  I offset the underlying data field down 50px.  I added a label to the combobox saying Company Lookup.  You can either select company from combobox or enter the company in the underlying field.

Combobox.png

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (3,778)