cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
black_magic101
Level: Powered On

Powerapps Notification Customization

I have a simple powerapp that has a button.  This button is connected to a flow that when pressed triggers a notification to pop up for any user that has powerapps on their phone and is logged in under a specific user.  This very same button also completes a SUBMITFORM function.

How can I take values from the SUBMITFORM and pass them as parameters in the string of my notification message?  Instead of the message simply being "A new ticket has been created.".... I would like it to say "(Name field) has created a new (priority status) ticket" where the parenthesis are my parameters passed from the recently submitted form.  

Everything I have tried has messed this up so any help is apprecaited.  I attached an image of my very basic flow.

10 REPLIES 10
Super User
Super User

Re: Powerapps Notification Customization

Use the Ask in PowerApps trigger in Flow, instead of the one you are currently using.  It will allow you to pass parameters into your flow to do exactly what you want to do. 

Then when you invoke the flow in powerApps you will say <MyFlowName>.Run(<parm1>, <parm2>) and the values associated with those parameters will be sent along with the request to run the flow.  They will show up in the flow as Dynamic Content under the Ask in PowerApps section.  

This post has additional information... https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/using-logic-flows

black_magic101

Okay I will try this now.  

Do you know if there is a way to send a follow-up notification if the status of the row is not updated within 24 hours.

The app is actually Microsoft's "Service Desk" template and the data is stored in a excel online file (onedrive).  Not sure if you have any experience with this or not.

black_magic101

I seem to be confused.  Do I add "Ask in Powerapps" into the message box or the parameters box in flow?  

Super User
Super User

I do not have specific knowledge of that template app.  You could build a flow that runs daily (or more frequently if needed) that reads the excel file and finds rows with a specific status (open or active perhaps?) and then compares two dates (not sure exactly which dates you would need to compare) to find any records where the requisite update did not occur within 24 hours and sends an email.  

Tip:  For testing just use a manual trigger to start this flow so you can kick it off easily while testing.  Then when it is working right, delete the manual trigger and replace it with a schedule trigger to run it at a specific time.

black_magic101

Makes sense...

Regarding the first inquiry and initial question, I was able to figure most of it out.  Here is what my flow looks like (see attached image).

Here is the code: PowerAppsbutton_1.Run(Value1.Text & " created a ticket with the subject " & "'" & Value7.Text & "'", Dropdown1_1);SubmitForm(NewTicketForm)

Now the issue is that I can not seem to get the value for the Dropdown1_1.  I can select text boxes just fine and pass them through, but it will not let me pass the selected value of the dropdown1_1 through to the notification.  I tried using .Text to ensure it was a string, but red squigglies pop up.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @black_magic101 

Please follow the screenshot and comments below: 

For initiating a Flow on submit of a form through a powerapps, please modify the OnSuccess attribute of the form.
Expression. 'PowerAppsbutton-2'.Run(Text(DataCardValue3.Text),Text(DataCardValue4.Selected.Value));Back()MicrosoftTeams-image (49).png

Flow:
Here we have created two variable to accept value from the powerapps and then setting it up on the push notification.MicrosoftTeams-image (48).png

Note: Please make sure that you have two different variable defined in the flow.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!
Super User
Super User

Actually, the trigger you were using is the right one.  (That's what I get for answering from memory instead of having a live example in front of me.) 

Reference the image below.  This shows using the Ask in PowerApps to establish the parameters I am passing.  I put my cursor into the field I want to include a parameter in and then click Ask in PowerApps in the Dynamic Content window. This will automatically add the right linkage to accept a parm from the PowerApp. 

Note:  after you select one, you may not initially see Ask in PowerApps when you go to the do a second one -- if not, click on See More next to PowerApps in the Dynamic Content window and it will show up for you to select.  

I have showed two different ways you can use the parameters.  You can capture into a variable for use throughout your app or you can use directly into something like an email.  I believe the order they appear in the flow list (here sendmeanemailnotification_Body, then setvariable_Value) should be the order you need to specify them in the PowerApps run statement, but you can easily test that if the wrong value comes up in the wrong place.2d.png

Super User
Super User

Try Dropdown1_1.Selected.Value.

black_magic101

See attached image.

I am still getting red squiggly's under my dropdown selection.  I am fairly certain that creating the variables is unnecessary.  The issue lies within the dropdown1_1 value?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 341 members 6,493 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: