cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Problems with build 3.19031.13?

I have an app which has been working fine in edit mode and when published in Play mode.

The app was behaving fine after a code change on 12 March 2019, version 3.19024.16

Now, since 14 March 2019 on version 3.19031.13, I get errors when editing the app that did not exist before and there have been no code changes nor changes to data sources.

The errors are "incompatible type" errors across multiple different variables within PowerApps. Again, these variables and the code that sets them has not changed.

I tried restoring the published version which was on PA version 3.19014.10 - which is running fine in Play mode. When I open that, I get the same errors as with the updated app on 3.19031.13.

I am at a bit of a loss how to diagnose or correct this - any help appreciated.

Is there a known issue with 3.19031.13?

5 REPLIES 5
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Problems with build 3.19031.13?

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you please share more details about the error message within your app?

Which data source do you use within your app?

I have made a test on my side, and don't have the issue that you mentioned. Based on the error message that you mentioned, I think there is something wrong with variables intialized within your PowerApps.

Please check if you have provided proper values for variables initialized within your app. Also please check if you have modified the data type of some columns in your SP list.

Please take a try to re-create a new app based on your SP List, then initialize these variables in your app again, publish your app, check if the issue is solved.

In addition, also please consider turn off/disable the "Improved app rendering (final validation)" option and turn on/enable the "Formula-level error management" option within Advanced settings of App settings of your app, re-publish your app, check if the issue still exists.

If the issue still exists, please consider submit an assisted support ticket throught the following link:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response.

I have started a rebuild to see if I can identify the problem.

There were some discrepancies in the data types in a variable (additional properties were being added in a Patch() statement). I am not clear why this was okay between one version and the other.

But in addition, I found that one of the incompatible data type errors came from this:

In App OnStart, I have the following code:

Set(varAuthenticatedUser, User()); 

Set(varCurrentUserPreferences, LookUp(cUserPreferences, User.Id = varCurrentUser.ID));
Set(varCurrentUserDisplayName,
If(IsBlank(varCurrentUserPreferences),
varAuthenticatedUser.FullName,
varCurrentUserPreferences.Title
)
);

The data source for cUserPreferences is a sharepoint list and the Title column is text. I would have thought User().FullName would be text too and there is no problem setting the varCurrentUserDisplayName this way.

And then in the variable that has been causing problems, I initialise the "Requester" property to this value:

Set(varIssue,
{ID: -1,
Requester: varCurrentUserDisplayName
}
);

When I patch this from a textbox with the following code, it was triggering the incompatible type error:

Set(varIssue, Patch(varIssue, { Requester: TrimEnds(txtRequester.Text)}));

If I wrap the above If statement in a Text() function, the incompatible type error goes away:

Set(varCurrentUserDisplayName,
Text(
If(IsBlank(varCurrentUserPreferences),
varAuthenticatedUser.FullName,
varCurrentUserPreferences.Title
)
)
);

How can that be?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have also discovered the following:

I am initialising a global variable in my app, then I populate I gallery with a collection that has a sharepoint data source. I then set the values in my variable from the selected item in the gallery.

So, I have something like this:

In App OnStart -
Set(varIssue, {... ID: -1, ...})

Then to populate the values in my variable from the selected collection item, I use -

Set(varIssue, Patch(varIssue, { ... ID: ThisItem.ID, ...}))

That gives me an incompatible type error (which it never did before).
However, if I change this to:
Set(varIssue, Patch(varIssue, { ... ID: Value(ThisItem.ID), ...}))

There is no error.

It is as if the app is not recognising the sharepoint data type.

... Help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's another example where it is starting to get absurd:

I initialise a boolean property in my global variable:

Set(varIssue, {... IsCompliance: false, ...})

Then to populate the values in my variable from the selected collection item, I use -

Set(varIssue, Patch(varIssue, { ... IsCompliance: ThisItem.IsCompliance, ...})) - error, incompatible type

I then tried:

Set(varIssue, Patch(varIssue, { ... IsCompliance: If(Lower(ThisItem.IsCompliance) = "true", true, false), ...})) - error: Lower is expecting a Text value not a Boolean - so PowerApps knows this is a boolean.

In then end, I need:

Set(varIssue, Patch(varIssue, { ... IsCompliance: If(Lower(Text(ThisItem.IsCompliance)) = "true", true, false), ...}))

Really?!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-xida-msft 

I tried the suggestions you made and you can see subsequent issues I have had.

I was rebuilding my app yesterday and all was fine, until I made a simple change today.

So, I have a button OnSelect action which does this:

Navigate(IssueDetails, ScreenTransition.Fade,
{params:
{ShowValidationOnStart: true,
ShowReview: false,
ShowReturnToList: false,
Issue:
{ARR: 0,
ClosedDate: DateTimeValue("01/01/2019"),
Hotfix: false,
ID: -1,
Requester: varCurrentUserDisplayName,
Title: "",
ScopeId: -1}
}
}
)

In the IssueDetails screen, I have this (amongst others):

UpdateContext({issue: params.Issue});

I then changed the button OnSelect, setting ShowValidationOnStart: false

Revised code is:

Navigate(IssueDetails, ScreenTransition.Fade,
{params:
{ShowValidationOnStart: false,
ShowReview: false,
ShowReturnToList: false,
Issue:
{ARR: 0,
ClosedDate: DateTimeValue("01/01/2019"),
Hotfix: false,
ID: -1,
Requester: varCurrentUserDisplayName,
Title: "",
ScopeId: -1}
}
}
)

When I did that, I get "incompatible type" errors for the Issue record, though I have changed nothing there (nor with the other data types in the params record).

This seems almost arbitrary in its nature. I could load the app again and the problem goes away (but it isn't at the moment). I have tried refreshing with CTRL-F5 etc. No joy.

I am struggling to see what I am doing wrong my end and wonder whether this is wrongly created data type errors and then caching that. I have no idea.

But it is making PowerApps impossible to work with.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,402)