cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kayleegoose
Level: Powered On

Can PowerApps do what I need it to do? SQL and SharePoint

I can't figure out if PowerApps is going to do what I need it to, and I can't find exactly what I need posted here yet. 

I need a form that will create a SharePoint list item. I know it can do that, but I need to pull data from SQL that will be used as dropdown options for some of the fields on this SharePoint list. 

So, if I have a field on my SharePoint list called Client, and I have a table in my database called tblClient, when the user adds a new item with PowerApps and clicks the Client dropdown, I want the options listed to be the client's names from tblClient. Then I want the value selected to be stored in the SharePoint list as the Client. 

Hope that makes sense. I just want to see if I can do this before I waste more of my time trying to figure out how to do it. But if you know how to do it, I would love some instructions. Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Re: Can PowerApps do what I need it to do? SQL and SharePoint

Hi @kayleegoose

Yes, this is possible.

Here are some instructions that I wrote for an almost identical scenario - a SharePoint list with a SQL Server lookup field. Hope that's of some use to you.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Use-a-ComboBox-with-data-from-another-databas...

kayleegoose
Level: Powered On

Re: Can PowerApps do what I need it to do? SQL and SharePoint

This does sound very similar! I'll give it a go tomorrow, but wanted to thank you for your prompt reply. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch

Join us for the Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event on Thursday, April 2, 2020, at 8:00 AM PST.

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,654)