Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Combobox default values from csv

Hi All,

I have a table of questions which a user can add to, and I want them to also be able to edit them. the value of 'Stage' is stored in the table as a csv, and when on the edit page, I want to populate my combo box with the previous items they selected. I was trying to use the split function but it is not seing the item as text, it sees it as a table. Any ideas how I can split the values in the table to use them as the default values when updating previous selections?

TaError.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

I got it!!

I need to add the detail to defaultselecteditems (not default), and use this code:

If(";" in DataTable3.Selected.Stages,ForAll(Split(DataTable3.Selected.Stages,";"), Result),[DataTable3.Selected.Stages])

That only took all day! Thanks for your response though Russel 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Kathryn_Marie ,

The Default: property of the DropDown control is looking for a single record from the DropDown items to set as the default entry.  You should probably be looking to change the Items: property to create the dropdown list items before choosing the default entry.

Also, your list of entries is comma separated, but your split command is looking for a semi-colon.

Try this;
Set the Items: property of the DropDown to 

Split(ThisItem.Stages, ",")

Then, if you actually want a default entry set, set the Default: property to either the value of a specific entry - i.e. "Stage 1", or the value of the data field containing the current stage, or leave it out to be blank on start.

Hope this helps,

RT

Highlighted

Thanks Russel,

If I set the split as the item property, it splits correctly but doesn't show all the values I need, just the ones the user selected the first time. I want them to be able to update from the full list.

Cheers

Kathryn

Highlighted

Hi @Kathryn_Marie ,

Ok, perhaps a few clarifying questions first:

• Why the combobox - can users select more than one stage at a time, and do you then want to filter something as a result by multiple stages?
  • What is this selection doing?  i.e. what actions are taken as a result of the user making their selection?
  • When you say it just shows what the user selected the first time - what do you mean?  It should show what the values are for that particular row's Stages field - is that not what you want?

One last thought - Comboboxes have a sticky memory, so previously selected Items would need to be cleared between selections - you can use the Reset() function to do this.

Kind regards,

RT

Highlighted

Thanks, I've added my answers:

• Why the combobox - can users select more than one stage at a time, and do you then want to filter something as a result by multiple stages? Yes, they can select multiple stages, and this is the edit page so they can go back and update those selections if required.
  • What is this selection doing?  i.e. what actions are taken as a result of the user making their selection? Once the user has made the changes, I will just write the updates back to the table.
  • When you say it just shows what the user selected the first time - what do you mean?  It should show what the values are for that particular row's Stages field - is that not what you want? Yes, but not as it it stored in the table. I need to split it first so they are selecting from the list again. I don't want it to show "stage 1, stage 3" as the selection.
Highlighted

I got it!!

I need to add the detail to defaultselecteditems (not default), and use this code:

If(";" in DataTable3.Selected.Stages,ForAll(Split(DataTable3.Selected.Stages,";"), Result),[DataTable3.Selected.Stages])

That only took all day! Thanks for your response though Russel 🙂

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Awesome, well done!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,639)