cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianf1969
Level: Powered On

O Data Update in Cascascading Drop Downs and Combo boxes - can some please explain this in plain english

Hi, I am not a developed/IT guy and am struggling my butt off to get this bit of code going - I have set up combo boxes, list and drop downs in MS access and totally understand uniqueness and relational data, but the actual roadmap to do this is proving tricky!!!

I have created the following;

1. A SharePoint list that has lookups to another SP List. This is the list where data is incrementally added and is the main list. This list has 2 columns which are selected as "depends on" values in lists 2 & 3 below.
  2. A sharepoint list with 2 columms, that is used to control a drop down, using 1 x value from list 1 with 1 cascading value
  3. A sharepoint list with 4 columns, using 1 x value from list 1, which has 3 cascading values
  4.  I then want the 1xcascading value to update in list 1 and also the 3 as well.

All the drop downs and depends on are working A1 perfecto and I have no problems with that. An SP list form is created using SharePoint integration etc.  I just need to get list 1 to update with the selecte values.

• I assume I need a text cell in list 1 to "receive" the update from list 2 & 3 values?
  • When I create datacards, I only see update at card level and not the drop down level. Sometimes update does not seem available?
  • Do I need to set update in the drop down to send OR should the update be set in the receiving text value, as a hidden datacard in the SP form?
  • Can some one explain the below? Is ID [Id] needed? Why? I just need to understand which row is related to the send/receiving value if that makes sense?
  • Is the red referring to the receiving or sending table
  • Is the blue referring to the receiving or sending table
  • I also get an error saying text value expected? Why?

{' Odata.type' : "#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference",

Id:DDActionOwner.Selected,

Value:DDActionOwner.Selected.'Supplier action owner'}

@RezaDorrani @v-yuxima-msft @RandyHayes @ShaneCows

@Jeff_Thorpe

ODataCapture.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
ianf1969

Re: O Data Update in Cascascading Drop Downs and Combo boxes - can some please explain this in plain english

I think I have resolved and element of this and determined where/why the update is not present;

If you add a new custom field and add a drop down, you do NOT seem to get the update field. However, from edit fields and first choosing the data source and saying NO to replace cards, when I then add the depends on values, I can now see the update box. Have strpped back the field names to the mimuim and am now just trying to get the last drop down box to update the parent spreadsheet. The custom card and the add field boxes both product the de-limited/cascaded field, but only the "add field" one with allowed values selected shows the update field.

I just want to send the DataCardValue3.value to Title in the incremental SP List -  

I now get an error saying expected text value

OData2Capture.JPG

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: O Data Update in Cascascading Drop Downs and Combo boxes - can some please explain this in plain english

Hi @ianf1969 

both the ID (red) and Value (blue) will be updated in the context of the data form

IdSmiley Very HappyDActionOwner.Selected,

Value:DDActionOwner.Selected.'Supplier action owner'}

Since it is a lookup column , it is looking up to data in the source list

Hence both the Id and Value need to match the data in the source lookup list

ianf1969

Hi, I really appreciate the reply, but literally have no clue what you are saying - 

All I am tyrying to do, is take a piece of "text" from an alternate SP List, which is selected from a DropDown and then updated into a "live list/incremental" SP list that recieves the data. I understand IDs and have done this kind of stuff in MS Access so I get that kind of thing, BUT, I really dont understand why this is so difficult? What is the relevance of needing an ID from a piece of text that is in a different column? Or does it need the ID for binding purposes etc?

All I need, is for someone to just say what the red and blue lines are, as I dont know which line refers to the source or destination? I have also tried using patch to achieve this which looks to be provide a similar function?

Sorry to sound thick! But am not a proper IT professional and am doing this unsupported as it were.....

ianf1969

The best I can find is this explation,

"{‘@odata.type’ : “#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference”,
Id:JobPositionDropdown.Selected.ID,
Value:JobPositionDropdown.Selected.Title
}

The formula above is to save the selected item from the dropdown while referencing the ID and the Title from the parent lists of the lookup column."

taken from https://www.dataoutsource.com/blog/ultimate-guide-to-implement-cascading-drop-down-lookup-through-po...

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,973)