cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shanescows
Super User
Super User

Power BI and PowerApps Visual - Date field not coming across

I am working on making a real basic walk through of how to add a PowerApps Visual in a Power BI report and I think I have found a bug.

In Power BI I am pulling data from an Excel workbook. The table has 3 columns. Date, ETH Price, LTC Price (yes I play with cryptocurriences). Date is in the format 12/19/17. Other two columns are 123.45 number format. I can make plenty of Power BI visuals and everything works.

Then I add the PowerApps visual, select all 3 columns, and then create a new app. The app fires like it should be when I get into PowerApps there is nothing in ThisItem.Date. ThisItem.'ETH Price' and ThisItem.'LTC Price' both have the correct data. I can select Date from the dropdown without squiqqly lines. Everything looks right but it is blank.

Is this a bug? Something wrong with my data? Am I doing it wrong?

Shane

Shane - Microsoft MVP, YouTube, and PowerApps Consulting for when you are in a bind to get this fixed quickly. And finally we now have PowerApps Training
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-micsh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Shanescows,

Thanks for reporting this.

I think this issue should be mostly related with Power BI Service.

There is an idea submitted on this regarding the date formatting difference specially for Power BI service:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/11698167-limitation-of-power-bi-o...

To workaorund this, plese take a try to configure the date to display as date hierarchy:

29.PNG

After that, you should be able to read the Year, month, day value with the PowerBIintegration.

30.PNG

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-micsh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Shanescows,

Thanks for reporting this.

I think this issue should be mostly related with Power BI Service.

There is an idea submitted on this regarding the date formatting difference specially for Power BI service:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/11698167-limitation-of-power-bi-o...

To workaorund this, plese take a try to configure the date to display as date hierarchy:

29.PNG

After that, you should be able to read the Year, month, day value with the PowerBIintegration.

30.PNG

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

That works. I am going to make a video now showing people how to get started here. 🙂 Thanks

Shane - Microsoft MVP, YouTube, and PowerApps Consulting for when you are in a bind to get this fixed quickly. And finally we now have PowerApps Training

@Shanescows  - I left you this comment on your youtube video about this, but reposting here in case you look at this more often . .  I'm coming across an issue where I have 3 different dates that I'd like to be able to utilize in the PowerApps from the Power BI data. With the field being ThisItem.Month, I can only grab one of them. Any ideas on how to get all 3 dates?

- Jason

LinearisBI

3 years later this seems to be still an issue: the date is passed from the Power BI filter context via the PowerBIintegration, but unfortunately a (user specific) timezone shift is applied to the date which shifts the date from the data model to the previous day (at least in my time zone). Ist there any solution?

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,262)