cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianf1969
Helper II
Helper II

Why do Datacards look different - confused on O data write back for cascading drop downs

Hi,

I have created a cascading table, where the value in the lookup table is being written back to the main sp list via the 

{'@odata.type':"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference" formula etc....

However, I have now started to "ramp up" the process with some other values and have not been able to get them going....On the 2 that are not writing the databack, I note the cards differ? The middle card shows "allowed values" and the one says "MaxLength". These are values I have not even touched etc, yet the working one does not display these? I am retracking my steps as to whether its a custom card with a Drop Down added, or whether I added a card and then modfied it etc. 

Also, on the 2 none working cards, as I complete the formulas, the kind of "autofill" text does not appear and I ge plagued by "expected text value" ? Any pointers?

DeltaPic.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
yashag2255
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @ianf1969 

The data card property/ controls depend on the type of attribute. This differs for text/number/choices/lookup etc. Each attribute has its own properties.

Can you share more details about the attributes that are throwing up error? Also, try to delete these data cards and recreate new one and modify them in a way that the update property returns data in the type of the attribute.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!
v-yutliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ianf1969 ,

The reason why you met this problem is:

data card's setting is decided by the controls inside the data card and the data type of the fields.

Different data type of the fields need to use different formula to update.

The formula that you use :

{'@odata.type':"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference" formula etc....

is used to update lookup data type, not working for other data type.

Could you tell me 

1) what is the control inside depottext_datacard2 and what is the data type of the field that this data card is used to  update?

1) what is the control inside depot_datacard1 and what is the data type of the field that this data card is used to update?

Here's a doc about how to define complex data type of sharepoint for your reference:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/default-values-for-complex-sharepoint-types/

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi - thanks, yes, I am trying to get data thats selected from a cascasding table. I have one table working perfectly and a remote SP list, selected value, is then taken from 1 SP list and is written in to the current list (why this has to be so complicated I will never know!)

Hi, I have since deleted the cards that I was working on, however, these are equivalent......the working card has a fomula of 

• SortByColumns(Filter(DoorsVdrs, SupplierValue = DataCardValue1.Selected.Value),"AssignedTo",Ascending)

This is basically limiting column 2 lookup value ("AssignedTo"), by the parent value ("SupplierValue". The values here are writing perfectly and can be seen here.....(due to a column name change, LookUpActionParty is the same field as "AssignedTo")

LookUp.JPG

Where I am now losing the will to live, is then replicating this to a 2nd Drop Down menu.....

There is a Drop Down COMBO box that has 2 choices, so either choice 1 or 2, then delimits the 2nd Depot field by a significant factor.

Depot.JPG

To me both Depot and LookUpActionParty ("AssignedTo") have the same icon when you choose the add field. 

I have been adding a card, then deleting the control and adding a new control and selecting allowed values, and then using the "depends on" little wizard type of thing to say "this field, is dependant on these 2 other fields", which seems to be make sense, is logical etc".  The "cranky/stupid" bit is then having to add additonal O Data code etc to the update item in the data card to save this value.....this is where its failing for me?

Below, on the working one, the kind "autofill" kind of text appears and you add in objects from the names of the items etc....Yet here, even though its referencing the same design/data model as the working one, the names do NOT appear, so even ID and here DepotText which are the parent names in the lookup do not appear. Oddly enough though, it did work once, then fail, then on refresh, it then "knocked out" and stopped an unrelated combo box from working - I then had to delete and reinsert the combo box and then the drop down again to try and get them going.  However, I have concerns about Combos stopping working in another thread.....

Update.JPG

Looking at this other thread though, it now appears (?) that default values are perhaps not good enough and that I have to go back and alter the properties on defaults (?) to get them to work properly....

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/default-values-for-complex-sharepoint-types/

None of the blogs/instructions on cascading menus seem to actually really nail this topic as they all seem to differ very slightly so I have had to read about 10, watch some videos, then literally days worth of trial and error/self teaching etc.....Yeah! Struggling......

Note, in the working one, the ID and table values are "seen" by the autofill function and the table values etc are all there to be selected.....

Working.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bumping for visibility 

@Anonymous 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (1,121)