Responsive Resident

adding column from another list

Hi Reader,

I'm having two lists as following

Students List:

Krishna_R_0-1625145944446.png

Classes List:

Krishna_R_1-1625146008796.png

I'm trying to add classname into the gallery like below. but I'm getting an error while referencing to the thisitem.ClassName

Krishna_R_2-1625146916174.png

Switch(vSort.vCol,
"Title",SortByColumns(Filter(Students,StartsWith(Title,Ip_Search.Text)),"Title",If(vSort.vDir=Descending,Ascending,Descending)),
"ClassName",SortByColumns(Filter(AddColumns(Students,"ClassName",LookUp(Classes,ID = Students[@'Class ID']).Title),StartsWith(Title,Ip_Search.Text)),"ClassName",If(vSort.vDir=Descending,Ascending,Descending)))

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. any thoughts ?

7 REPLIES 7
joe_hannes_col
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hello @Krishna_R,

I think this might be because you are using the AddColumns function in a gallery control. This additional column is not persistently stored into your database.

To be able to reference it within the gallery, you would have to use the AddColumns function together with Collect or ClearCollect, and set the new collection as the source of your gallery. Then you should be able to reference ThisItem.ClassName within your gallery.

You can find more info here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-table-shaping#step-b...

Krishna_R
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @joe_hannes_col, thanks for the info.

so does this mean on screen visible I've to collect all the DB data to a collection and need to perform search & sort on collection ?

Hello @Krishna_R,

Yes, that should work. If your gallery only shows a defined subset of the data, you could also filter the data you are loading into the collection. 

Krishna_R
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@joe_hannes_col considering data load it will be huge and more than 2000 records. will there be any workaround ?

Hello @Krishna_R,

If you want to display the class name in your gallery, you could also do the following:

• Add a label to your gallery 
  • Set its text property to:

LookUp(Classes,ID = ThisItem.'Class ID').Title)​

Krishna_R
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@joe_hannes_col thanks for this. this might help . but it might be difficult to sort & search ! and will it impact performance as we're using lookup inside a gallery ?

joe_hannes_col
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

If I understood correctly, you are using the formula from your first post as the source of your gallery, right? Adding the lookup field to your gallery would not require you to make changes to the gallery source.

So if sorting is working right now, adding the lookup field would not impact it.

Regarding performance: Yes, any additional call to a data source is going to have an impact on performance. I would not expect a huge negative impact, but if you feel that your app is too sluggish: you could create a collection from your classes table, and then reference this collection in your gallery source and in the lookup formula within your gallery. This should speed things up.

If this is possible, it would be best to create this collection only once, e.g. using the app's OnStart property.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,707)