cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FredForest
Level: Powered On

Dropdown filter + default

Hi,

I'm having a weird behaviour and I don't know if I'm not setting my app properly or if it's a bug.

Here's the case:

- I have 3 objects : a gallery and 2 dropdowns representing a hierarchy (competencies and families of competencies)

- The competency dropdown if fed it's default value by the gallery and its item's collection is filtered by the value of the family dropdown

PowerAppDropDown.png

My problem is that it seems like the "default" value is fed before the items' filter is applied and then lost when the items collections is filtered. In other words :

- If I switch between selected gallery items within the same family (i.e.: "Power BI" and "SSAS Dev" both belong to the "tools" family), then the competency dropdown works just fine

- If however I switch from items belonging to different families (i.e.: "BO" to "Power BI"), then the default value sent by the gallery seems to be ignored/overwritten and the competency dropdown shows the first competency within the family selected. o_0

Is there a way to ensure the default is applied after the dropdown items collection has been filtered ? Or any other work around you can think about ?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Dropdown filter + default

Hi FredForest,

What functions are you using for the app?

I am trying to reproduce this issue on my side, please provide more details to help reproduce this issue.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
FredForest
Level: Powered On

Re: Dropdown filter + default

(relevant information)

The gallery

- Items : Uses a local collection with fields {Competency (string), CompetencyFamily (String), Maturity (String)}

The Family dropdown

- Items : Uses a local collection with fields {CompetencyFamily (String), IdCompetencyFamily (Int)}

- Default value : Gallery.Selected.CompetencyFamily

The Competency dropdown

- Uses a local collection with fields {Competency (String); IdCompetency (Int); IdCompetencyFamily (Int)}

- Items : Filter(CompetencyCollection ; IdCompetencyFamily = DropDownFamily.Selected.IdCompetencyFamily)

- Default value : Gallery.Selected.Competency

So long as I keep selecting items within the same family in the gallery, the behaviour works just fine. It's when I go between families that the issue occures.

If nothing else works, I'll probably hide the Family dropdown when I'm not in "new item" mode. It's only really a help to filter an otherwise pretty long Competency collection (200+ items).

Thanks!

Fred

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Top Community Contributors for September  2019

Top Community Contributors for September 2019 🎉🎉

Let's thank our top community contributors

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 215 members 4,231 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: