cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Little-Italian1

Send email with or without MS Forms attachments

@Pstork1 

I have a flow that exactly mimics your blog post on sending emails with attachments from MS Forms.

This works as expected and documented.

I want to take this a step further by programming the same flow to send an email with the same content in the event that attachments are not included in a MS Forms submission.

This is required because I have a MS Form with the file upload question listed as optional, which is acceptable for its purpose, and the content within the Form still needs to be distributed by email even if an attachment is not present.

How can this be accomplished?

Attached is how I am currently attempting to create this; however, I do not know what to enter for the second condition value.

Your advice and expertise here will be greatly appreciated.

LittleItalian1_0-1676662943429.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Below is the solution that worked.

According to this article, leaving the value box on the right empty will have Power Automate check if a value is present (in my case, within the entered dynamic content).

This solution is specific to MS Forms (not sure if it works with other applications, but it worked here).

I tested with 2 MS Forms submissions (one with attachments, one without) and the flow worked as desired for each test.

LittleItalian1_0-1676935510128.png

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Pstork1
Most Valuable Professional

Check to see if the question for uploading attachments is Null.  If it is then there are no attachments.  But you need to do that before the apply to each loop to process the attachments and add them to the variable array.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

@Pstork1 

Thank you for the insights.

Please see below for test results.

LittleItalian1_0-1676905606033.png

Dynamic content is correct in both slots.

Expression is derived simply by entering null in the expression tab and selecting null from the suggested options.

Above configuration (WITH attachments in submission): worked as expected (sent correct email w/ attachments)

Above configuration (NO attachments in submission): flow failed. ERROR - ACTION ‘PARSE_JSON’ FAILED. ERROR DETAILS: UNABLE TO PROCESS TEMPLATE LANGUAGE EXPRESSIONS IN ACTION ‘PARSE_JSON INPUTS AT LINE ‘0’ AND COLUMN ‘0’. REQUIRED PROPERTY ‘CONTENT’ EXPECTS A VALUE BUT GOT NULL. PATH “.’.

LittleItalian1_1-1676906479359.png

With same condition BEFORE apply to each loop (WITH attachments in submission): sent correct email text, but DID NOT include attachments

With same condition BEFORE apply to each loop (NO attachments in submission): flow failed. Same error message as above.

What do you suggest from here?

Pstork1

I'm assuming the loop is used to add the individual attachments to the array.  If that's true then the loop needs to be in the Yes side of the condition, not after the condition.

LittleItalian1_1-1676908045073.png

@Pstork1 

Positioned the apply to each loop as mentioned.

Flow succeeded when attachments were included in the submission.

Flow failed when attachments were not included in the submission, same error message as above.

Pstork1

Where in your flow are you doing the Parse JSON?  You may need to move that inside the Yes/no sections of the flow and use different schemas for when there is an attachment and when there isn't.

LittleItalian1_0-1676908793851.png

Step 1 (trigger) - when a new response is submitted (MS Forms)

Step 2 (action) - get response details (MS Forms)

Step 3 (action) - initialize variable (Variable)

Step 4 (action) - parse json (Data Operations)

When adding parse json step to yes section of apply to each loop, error message appears saying “This action cannot be dragged into for each as an action outside for each depends on it.”

When adding initialize variable to yes section of apply to each loop, error message appears saying “An initialize variable action can only be at top level.”

Pstork1

You need to drag the Parse JSON inside the Yes side, but outside the loop.  The loop depends on the values provided by the parse JSON.  You may just have to create a new Parse JSON inside the loop, change the actions to point to it and then remove the old one.  But it needs to be inside the condition because the schema will be different if there are or aren't attachments.

Flow now looks like this:

LittleItalian1_0-1676911014281.png

Parse JSON in if yes section holds the same schema as the prior one.

The flow worked with attachments and did not without attachments.

What else should be done?

If a parse json schema needs to be added to the if no section of the condition, how would I gather that?

Pstork1

What is the error you get without attachments?  Are you using any of the things from the Parse JSON in the non attachments email?

The error message is the same as mentioned previously (unable to process template language etc.)

I have dynamic content in the body of the non attachment email.

Looking further at the error, the condition did not use the if no path; instead it used the if yes path, thus causing the error.

Expression result reads true under condition, but it should have been false and used the if no path which would send an email without attachments.

Is there something within the condition box that needs changing? (Using the checkboxes, etc.)

Pstork1

Just to verify.  The value you are checking against the null is the question for uploading files right?

Yes, confirmed.

Pstork1

Then check a previous run where there where no attachments and look to see if the attachments question is null or just empty.

Below is the solution that worked.

According to this article, leaving the value box on the right empty will have Power Automate check if a value is present (in my case, within the entered dynamic content).

This solution is specific to MS Forms (not sure if it works with other applications, but it worked here).

I tested with 2 MS Forms submissions (one with attachments, one without) and the flow worked as desired for each test.

LittleItalian1_0-1676935510128.png

Helpful resources

Announcements

Check out the Copilot Studio Cookbook today!

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Copilot Studio Community. We can't wait for you to share your expertise and your experience!    Join us for an amazing opportunity where you'll be one of the first to contribute to the Copilot Cookbook—your ultimate guide to mastering Microsoft Copilot. Whether you're seeking inspiration or grappling with a challenge while crafting apps, you probably already know that Copilot Cookbook is your reliable assistant, offering a wealth of tips and tricks at your fingertips--and we want you to add your expertise. What can you "cook" up?   Click this link to get started: https://aka.ms/CS_Copilot_Cookbook_Gallery   Don't miss out on this exclusive opportunity to be one of the first in the Community to share your app creation journey with Copilot. We'll be announcing a Cookbook Challenge very soon and want to make sure you one of the first "cooks" in the kitchen.   Don't miss your moment--start submitting in the Copilot Cookbook Gallery today!     Thank you,  Engagement Team

Announcing Power Apps Copilot Cookbook Gallery

We are excited to share that the all-new Copilot Cookbook Gallery for Power Apps is now available in the Power Apps Community, full of tips and tricks on how to best use Microsoft Copilot as you develop and create in Power Apps. The new Copilot Cookbook is your go-to resource when you need inspiration--or when you're stuck--and aren't sure how to best partner with Copilot while creating apps.   Whether you're looking for the best prompts or just want to know about responsible AI use, visit Copilot Cookbook for regular updates you can rely on--while also serving up some of your greatest tips and tricks for the Community. Check Out the new Copilot Cookbook for Power Apps today: Copilot Cookbook - Power Platform Community.  We can't wait to see what you "cook" up!    

Welcome to the Power Automate Community

You are now a part of a fast-growing vibrant group of peers and industry experts who are here to network, share knowledge, and even have a little fun.   Now that you are a member, you can enjoy the following resources:   Welcome to the Community   News & Announcements: The is your place to get all the latest news around community events and announcements. This is where we share with the community what is going on and how to participate.  Be sure to subscribe to this board and not miss an announcement.   Get Help with Power Automate Forums: If you're looking for support with any part of Power Automate, our forums are the place to go. From General Power Automate forums to Using Connectors, Building Flows and Using Flows.  You will find thousands of technical professionals, and Super Users with years of experience who are ready and eager to answer your questions. You now have the ability to post, reply and give "kudos" on the Power Automate community forums. Make sure you conduct a quick search before creating a new post because your question may have already been asked and answered. Galleries: The galleries are full of content and can assist you with information on creating a flow in our Webinars and Video Gallery, and the ability to share the flows you have created in the Power Automate Cookbook.  Stay connected with the Community Connections & How-To Videos from the Microsoft Community Team. Check out the awesome content being shared there today.   Power Automate Community Blog: Over the years, more than 700 Power Automate Community Blog articles have been written and published by our thriving community. Our community members have learned some excellent tips and have keen insights on the future of process automation. In the Power Automate Community Blog, you can read the latest Power Automate-related posts from our community blog authors around the world. Let us know if you'd like to become an author and contribute your own writing — everything Power Automate-related is welcome.   Community Support: Check out and learn more about Using the Community for tips & tricks. Let us know in the Community Feedback  board if you have any questions or comments about your community experience. Again, we are so excited to welcome you to the Microsoft Power Automate community family. Whether you are brand new to the world of process automation or you are a seasoned Power Automate veteran - our goal is to shape the community to be your 'go to' for support, networking, education, inspiration and encouragement as we enjoy this adventure together.     Power Automate Community Team

Hear what's next for the Power Up Program

Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram, including a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the link below to sign up today! https://aka.ms/PowerUp  

Tuesday Tip | How to Report Spam in Our Community

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   As our community family expands each week, we revisit our essential tools, tips, and tricks to ensure you’re well-versed in the community’s pulse. Keep an eye on the News & Announcements for your weekly Tuesday Tips—you never know what you may learn!   Today's Tip: How to Report Spam in Our Community We strive to maintain a professional and helpful community, and part of that effort involves keeping our platform free of spam. If you encounter a post that you believe is spam, please follow these steps to report it: Locate the Post: Find the post in question within the community.Kebab Menu: Click on the "Kebab" menu | 3 Dots, on the top right of the post.Report Inappropriate Content: Select "Report Inappropriate Content" from the menu.Submit Report: Fill out any necessary details on the form and submit your report.   Our community team will review the report and take appropriate action to ensure our community remains a valuable resource for everyone.   Thank you for helping us keep the community clean and useful!

Users online (4,023)