cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
demaionewton
Helper I
Helper I

HELP ME! Power Automate Desktop & Access is Killing me! Keeps losing ability to find field on Access form.

I'm simply trying to get PAD to consistently copy a field value on a form.  I don't change anything on the form, the name of the file, location, or anything else, but PAD keep losing the location of many of the elements, giving me the "Extracting value of attribute XXX (UI element wasn't found)" error.  I keep adding a "Selector with Recapture" in hopes that one of the selectors will work, but it keeps losing it.  

demaionewton_4-1662991699561.png

demaionewton_0-1662991464699.png

demaionewton_1-1662991493747.png

demaionewton_2-1662991531314.png

demaionewton_3-1662991574337.png

Any help would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
demaionewton
Helper I
Helper I

SOLVED!  Whenever PAD loses it with Access, I Compact & Repair the database and rerun PAD.  It's worked every time so far.  (Better question is, why does Access need this so often, and why does PAD lose it without it...)  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Ankesh_49
Super User
Super User

@demaionewton  Could you please record your steps and check which part is dynamic. Multiple recordings should yield the result.

Comparing the recordings should give us an idea about the part which needs to be dynamic and if required Regex can be used to create a selector.

Hope it helps!!

Please reach out if you need any assistance. Happy to help.

Thanks

Ankesh

ryule
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Try unchecking 1 through 4 and leaving only 5 checked in your selector.

Thanks for the tip.  Question:  What logic do you/should I apply when identifying elements to keep checked versus uncheck?  For example, It makes sense to me that all should be checked Pane 'Workspace' >Pane 'Cases' > Tab 'Detail Section, TabCtl117' > UI Custom 'Overview' > Edit 'Title'  This is the hierarchy for the page and should direct PAD exactly where to find the item.  If I uncheck 1-4 and Access was in a different form, or that form was in a different tab, it wouldn't be able to find it (right?)

Also, on occasion I have tried Compact and Repairing the Access database to try to eliminate the errors. It may have helped, but I have no proof of it. Again, it doesn't make sense to me that this should affect PAD.

demaionewton
Helper I
Helper I

Is there any way to know which Selector was the one that worked, and which ones didn't without manually trying each one?  I've accumulated these 6 as a result of the errors thinking one of them will have to work.  But, I'm wondering if it's good practice to keep them all or handle it some other way...

ryule
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

They work as a combination of each other, so if you keep all of them checked, if any of them aren't exactly the same as when you originally created the selector (i.e. if TabCtl117 changes to TabCtl118), then it will break. That's why you try to minimize/simplify the selector to make it more dynamic, however it does still have to be specific enough to get the correct field. 

But I'm assuming there is only one "Title" on that page, so there shouldn't be much risk is only using that selector.

It does become a trial and error exercise sometimes though, especially for some applications.

You are right... There is only one Title on the page.  (Thanks for asking).

demaionewton
Helper I
Helper I

SOLVED!  Whenever PAD loses it with Access, I Compact & Repair the database and rerun PAD.  It's worked every time so far.  (Better question is, why does Access need this so often, and why does PAD lose it without it...)  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,583)