cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michal
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Can we make SharePoint "For selected file" trigger site-independent?

Hi, 

Just started to use the Power Automate from within the SharePoint document library and I can see that it refers to a specific site and document.

I would like to make the flow reusable across all tenant and all sites (i.e. when it is needed, create a button that will trigger the specific flow)

So, can we make SharePoint "For selected file" trigger site-independent?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Since the trigger requires specifying the site and specific Library in order to work, no it can't be made site independent.  You can do a Save As and modify the copies to work with different libraries in different sites.  But there is no way to connect the same flow to multiple libraries at the same time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Join me at 365 and PWR EduCon in Chicago
EduCon Chicago 2022

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Since the trigger requires specifying the site and specific Library in order to work, no it can't be made site independent.  You can do a Save As and modify the copies to work with different libraries in different sites.  But there is no way to connect the same flow to multiple libraries at the same time.

EduCon Chicago 2022

Thank you @Pstork1 

I am struggling with SharePoint's "Get file content" action inside of a "For selected file" flow.

Maybe you know a way how to get the info that is needed for the "Get file content" action, so I can save the file to the OneDrive?

This should work for any selected file in a given document library.

I have already extracted the "Site address" from the  "For selected file" trigger as below. 

split(triggerBody()?['entity']?['itemUrl'], '/_layouts/')[0]

But cannot find the way to build a proper "File Identifier". 

Any tips?

Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

The trigger gives you the item ID for the file.  You can use that in the Get File Properties to get more info, including the file identifier.

image.png

EduCon Chicago 2022

Thank you @Pstork1 

I was trying to make it overcomplicated. It worked perfectly. 

Jay-Encodian
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Michal @Pstork1 - apologies for updating an old thread but hopefully some useful info to share.

Encodian have just released a new tool called 'Trigr' which solves this exact challenge, Trigr enables a single Power Automate flow to be exposed across every list / library in SharePoint Online instantly. The following video provides a demo on how to get this setup (takes a few minutes :)) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCQA15u5eIk

Trigr also support multi item / document selection, dynamic forms and some other cool stuff

No apologies needed.  I saw the announcement also, but haven't had a chance to try it yet

EduCon Chicago 2022

Helpful resources

Announcements
Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (1,826)