Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ToniRantanen
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Create on-premises Active Directory user with Flow

Hi!

What would you suggest as a best workaround to create new user in on-premises Active Directory with Microsoft Flow? I understand that there is no direct connector in Flow to connect to on-premises AD but would for example On-Premises gateway or something like that be a solution for this?

Our target is to automate new employee process as much as possible.

Best regards,

Toni Rantanen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ToniRantanen,

Currently, Microsoft flow doesn’t support On-Premise Active Directly, only On-Premise SharePoint and On-Premise SQL Server are supported.

If you need this feature, please submit an idea on the Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas 

Best regards,

Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
kuingul

If you need automation for AD user provisioning, I believe you should be looking at 3rd party solutions that specialize in AD automation. Here's a good example of a solution for that: https://www.adaxes.com/active-directory_provisioning.htm

v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ToniRantanen,

Currently, Microsoft flow doesn’t support On-Premise Active Directly, only On-Premise SharePoint and On-Premise SQL Server are supported.

If you need this feature, please submit an idea on the Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas 

Best regards,

Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @kuingul,

Is it possible to trigger Adaxes Active Directory Provisioning with Microsoft Flow? I'm looking for a solution where for example HR would fill new employee's details to Microsoft Forms and then Microsoft Flow would take care rest of the routine tasks related to new employee start.

Best regards,

Toni Rantanen

I have created a way to trigger the creation of an AD User with the help of a gateway.

I have a list in Sharepoint when HR submits a new user. It takes those values and compiles it into a csv with the necessary fields required in powershell.

Once the csv is created I send it to my on-prem server with the gateway to a specific folder. I have a repeating task in task scheduler set to run a .bat which calls a powershell script to monitor the folder indefinitely. That powershell script will monitor that folder for any file ending in ".csv" being created. When it triggers it sets off my CreateUser.ps1 which will import the newly created csv and create the user based on that. Once the script is ran, due to the way I'm importing the csv, it will delete that csv from the folder (I had the flow create the csv in a sharepoint docs folder as backup as well).

I hope I explained that well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Would you mind sending me the script that you used to do that? I've been thinking through this problem today - and I think this might be the best solution tbh. Great idea!

Were you able to take unique passwords for the users or were they all the same password for each user created? 

I was able to create a unique password for each user. When creating the csv I used a randomly generated GUID and grabbed the first x number of characters and set that for the password field.

The script to monitor is fairly simple:

$folder =  # Enter the root path you want to monitor. 
$filter = '*.csv'  # You can enter a wildcard filter here. 

$fsw = New-Object IO.FileSystemWatcher $folder, $filter -Property @{IncludeSubdirectories = $false;NotifyFilter = [IO.NotifyFilters]'FileName, LastWrite'}

Register-ObjectEvent $fsw Created -SourceIdentifier FileCreated -Action { 

Invoke-Item 'Folderpath.bat'
}

Since I am not logged onto a server 100% of the time I set a task schedule to call a .bat which will open up this script with a persistent window (as it requires an active PS window). That is done with a .bat (ran every 5 minutes through Event Scheduler to ensure it stays up)

Powershell.exe -noexit "& "Path.ps1

The "Folderpath.bat" mentioned in the first block of code with "Invoke-Item" is what invokes this 

Powershell.exe -executionpolicy remotesigned -File Path-To-Create-User.ps1

That .ps1 is my create AD user script. You can find plenty of guides on how to customize that to your needs. The important parts (for this method anyway) is that you need it to run right as the .csv is entered and then delete the .csv as it pulls every csv in the folder. I'm sure you could do a foreach but I'm too lazy for that and this works perfectly fine as I have a backup of the csv in a SharePoint drive.

Just start the create-user.ps1 like this:

Import-Module ActiveDirectory

$CSVPath = Get-ChildItem C:\Path-To-Folder-With-CSV -Filter *.csv | select -ExpandProperty FullName
$User = Import-Csv -Delimiter "," -Path $CSVPath

And do a 

Remove-Item -Path $CSVPath

To delete the csv that was just created.

I hope that is clear enough to follow, I'd be happy to clarify or help further if I can.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much!! This is great. 

Do you know how you ensure that a csv isn't deleted in the case of 2 simultaneous users created in the SharePoint form? 

How do you make sure it only deletes the csv for the user you just created? 

At least in my situation only one user can be submitted at a time so the CSV will only be created for a single user. Since the script runs right when the csv is put into the folder you'd have to have 2 users submitted something at exactly the same second which is highly unlikely. If you can control the situation I would highly recommend only one user per form.

For deleting the csv you just created that will be with the $CSVPath variable as that is what it imports from.

Hi,

You should be able to use powershell CSOM scripting using a package like PnP-PowerShell to wathc the sharepoint list and update the list item status once processed and also provide direct feedback if there were any issues.

Hope this helps.

Mat

jeckard
Helper I
Helper I

I know this is late but we do this by having Flow kick off a run book from a Sharepoint List and Sharepoint feeds the run book several Parameters for the AD account.

@jeckard how did you do it.

Our Flow does a lot including auto generating an employee ID.  I will share the part that I think will be helpful.

For the Run book script I will have to get that for you from the AD guys they created that part. We run the  Flow on a every four hour time frame to get all items created since the last run and the account column is No

There is  loop that runs for each item and then updates each item to account Yes so they won't create another item the next time it runs. It also update the Request with the output of the Runbook which in our case is the email address. We have the flow sending an email to our HR department with the new EEID and email address to put in the New Hire Information.   The Run Book is a premium connector so the account that runs the flow has a Power Automation plan.  Currently there is no way to do it with out that connector that I know of.

AD1.JPGAD2.JPGRun3JPG.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is absolutely possible, but you do need to do a little bit of programming - in Powershell is fine.

Create a custom gateway on your target on-premise server. On this server, run a web-server (local to the server is fine - no external access) and this web server will host your AD actions. That's the programming part. I used POSH webserver. Just make sure that instead of returning txt/html you return application/JSON and set the correct response content-type. Return whatever you want (e.g. Get-ADUser x y z | ConvertTo-Json). Build the custom gateway interface in the configuration tool (using Swagger or via the UI).

Then set up your flow to call this custom gateway and set the correct JSON return types. Flow seems finicky about return types. [ my custom gateways all just return 'string' and I put the correct definition in the flow ParseJSON or flow Response action.]

Anyways, then flow is happy and can make calls through the gateway to my on-premise server which is itself making calls to AD.

Finally build a Canvas PowerApp and call the flows to get a user list or to set attributes in AD. The turn-around time on calls is maybe 1 to 2 seconds - not super snappy - but it works! 

I can document further if there is interest.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am new to PowerShell and connecting it with Power automation. I want help in below scenario:

I have a SharePoint List (List name - emp_info) which have following fields -

namemanagerdepartmentdesignation

when employee want any update in their profile, they fill a form and their entries will store in emp_info list.

A new entry in emp_info list will be the starting point for MS Flow. Flow will get started and run PowerShell script which contain the code to update properties (manager, department, designation) of that particular user (name) in on - premises Active Directory.

Please help me with this and writing PowerShell script. Also share your document and explain what other application is required for this automation. 

Let me know if any other explanation is needed. Thank you.

On-premise resources can be accessed via cloud services. This also includes active directory, the following post might help to create AD account in Onpremise

https://ashiqf.com/2020/05/27/automate-the-provision-of-on-premise-ad-account-part-2/

sscarcella
Kudo Commander
Kudo Commander

You could POSSIBLY trigger a Power Automate Desktop flow using a Power Automate Cloud flow to create an on prem AD account.

Helpful resources

Announcements

Calling all User Group Leaders and Super Users! Mark Your Calendars for the next Community Ambassador Call on May 9th!

This month's Community Ambassador call is on May 9th at 9a & 3p PDT. Please keep an eye out in your private messages and Teams channels for your invitation. There are lots of exciting updates coming to the Community, and we have some exclusive opportunities to share with you! As always, we'll also review regular updates for User Groups, Super Users, and share general information about what's going on in the Community.     Be sure to register & we hope to see all of you there!

April 2024 Community Newsletter

We're pleased to share the April Community Newsletter, where we highlight the latest news, product releases, upcoming events, and the amazing work of our outstanding Community members.   If you're new to the Community, please make sure to follow the latest News & Announcements and check out the Community on LinkedIn as well! It's the best way to stay up-to-date with all the news from across Microsoft Power Platform and beyond.    COMMUNITY HIGHLIGHTS   Check out the most active community members of the last month! These hardworking members are posting regularly, answering questions, kudos, and providing top solutions in their communities. We are so thankful for each of you--keep up the great work! If you hope to see your name here next month, follow these awesome community members to see what they do!   Power AppsPower AutomateCopilot StudioPower PagesWarrenBelzDeenujialexander2523ragavanrajanLaurensMManishSolankiMattJimisonLucas001AmikcapuanodanilostephenrobertOliverRodriguestimlAndrewJManikandanSFubarmmbr1606VishnuReddy1997theMacResolutionsVishalJhaveriVictorIvanidzejsrandhawahagrua33ikExpiscornovusFGuerrero1PowerAddictgulshankhuranaANBExpiscornovusprathyooSpongYeNived_Nambiardeeksha15795apangelesGochixgrantjenkinsvasu24Mfon   LATEST NEWS   Business Applications Launch Event - On Demand In case you missed the Business Applications Launch Event, you can now catch up on all the announcements and watch the entire event on-demand inside Charles Lamanna's latest cloud blog.   This is your one stop shop for all the latest Copilot features across Power Platform and #Dynamics365, including first-hand looks at how companies such as Lenovo, Sonepar, Ford Motor Company, Omnicom and more are using these new capabilities in transformative ways. Click the image below to watch today!   Power Platform Community Conference 2024 is here! It's time to look forward to the next installment of the Power Platform Community Conference, which takes place this year on 18-20th September 2024 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas!   Come and be inspired by Microsoft senior thought leaders and the engineers behind the #PowerPlatform, with Charles Lamanna, Sangya Singh, Ryan Cunningham, Kim Manis, Nirav Shah, Omar Aftab and Leon Welicki already confirmed to speak. You'll also be able to learn from industry experts and Microsoft MVPs who are dedicated to bridging the gap between humanity and technology. These include the likes of Lisa Crosbie, Victor Dantas, Kristine Kolodziejski, David Yack, Daniel Christian, Miguel Félix, and Mats Necker, with many more to be announced over the coming weeks.   Click here to watch our brand-new sizzle reel for #PPCC24 or click the image below to find out more about registration. See you in Vegas!       Power Up Program Announces New Video-Based Learning Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram. These include a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the image below to find out more!   UPCOMING EVENTS Microsoft Build - Seattle and Online - 21-23rd May 2024 Taking place on 21-23rd May 2024 both online and in Seattle, this is the perfect event to learn more about low code development, creating copilots, cloud platforms, and so much more to help you unleash the power of AI.   There's a serious wealth of talent speaking across the three days, including the likes of Satya Nadella, Amanda K. Silver, Scott Guthrie, Sarah Bird, Charles Lamanna, Miti J., Kevin Scott, Asha Sharma, Rajesh Jha, Arun Ulag, Clay Wesener, and many more.   And don't worry if you can't make it to Seattle, the event will be online and totally free to join. Click the image below to register for #MSBuild today!   European Collab Summit - Germany - 14-16th May 2024 The clock is counting down to the amazing European Collaboration Summit, which takes place in Germany May 14-16, 2024. #CollabSummit2024 is designed to provide cutting-edge insights and best practices into Power Platform, Microsoft 365, Teams, Viva, and so much more. There's a whole host of experts speakers across the three-day event, including the likes of Vesa Juvonen, Laurie Pottmeyer, Dan Holme, Mark Kashman, Dona Sarkar, Gavin Barron, Emily Mancini, Martina Grom, Ahmad Najjar, Liz Sundet, Nikki Chapple, Sara Fennah, Seb Matthews, Tobias Martin, Zoe Wilson, Fabian Williams, and many more.   Click the image below to find out more about #ECS2024 and register today!     Microsoft 365 & Power Platform Conference - Seattle - 3-7th June If you're looking to turbo boost your Power Platform skills this year, why not take a look at everything TechCon365 has to offer at the Seattle Convention Center on June 3-7, 2024.   This amazing 3-day conference (with 2 optional days of workshops) offers over 130 sessions across multiple tracks, alongside 25 workshops presented by Power Platform, Microsoft 365, Microsoft Teams, Viva, Azure, Copilot and AI experts. There's a great array of speakers, including the likes of Nirav Shah, Naomi Moneypenny, Jason Himmelstein, Heather Cook, Karuana Gatimu, Mark Kashman, Michelle Gilbert, Taiki Y., Kristi K., Nate Chamberlain, Julie Koesmarno, Daniel Glenn, Sarah Haase, Marc Windle, Amit Vasu, Joanne C Klein, Agnes Molnar, and many more.   Click the image below for more #Techcon365 intel and register today!     For more events, click the image below to visit the Microsoft Community Days website.      

Tuesday Tip | Update Your Community Profile Today!

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   We're excited to announce that updating your community profile has never been easier! Keeping your profile up to date is essential for staying connected and engaged with the community.   Check out the following Support Articles with these topics: Accessing Your Community ProfileRetrieving Your Profile URLUpdating Your Community Profile Time ZoneChanging Your Community Profile Picture (Avatar)Setting Your Date Display Preferences Click on your community link for more information: Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages, Copilot Studio   Thank you for being an active part of our community. Your contributions make a difference! Best Regards, The Community Management Team

Hear what's next for the Power Up Program

Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram, including a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the link below to sign up today! https://aka.ms/PowerUp  

Super User of the Month | Ahmed Salih

We're thrilled to announce that Ahmed Salih is our Super User of the Month for April 2024. Ahmed has been one of our most active Super Users this year--in fact, he kicked off the year in our Community with this great video reminder of why being a Super User has been so important to him!   Ahmed is the Senior Power Platform Architect at Saint Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis. He's been a Super User for two seasons and is also a Microsoft MVP! He's celebrating his 3rd year being active in the Community--and he's received more than 500 kudos while authoring nearly 300 solutions. Ahmed's contributions to the Super User in Training program has been invaluable, with his most recent session with SUIT highlighting an incredible amount of best practices and tips that have helped him achieve his success.   Ahmed's infectious enthusiasm and boundless energy are a key reason why so many Community members appreciate how he brings his personality--and expertise--to every interaction. With all the solutions he provides, his willingness to help the Community learn more about Power Platform, and his sheer joy in life, we are pleased to celebrate Ahmed and all his contributions! You can find him in the Community and on LinkedIn. Congratulations, Ahmed--thank you for being a SUPER user!

Tuesday Tip: Getting Started with Private Messages & Macros

Welcome to TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   As our community family expands each week, we revisit our essential tools, tips, and tricks to ensure you’re well-versed in the community’s pulse. Keep an eye on the News & Announcements for your weekly Tuesday Tips—you never know what you may learn!   This Week's Tip: Private Messaging & Macros in Power Apps Community   Do you want to enhance your communication in the Community and streamline your interactions? One of the best ways to do this is to ensure you are using Private Messaging--and the ever-handy macros that are available to you as a Community member!   Our Knowledge Base article about private messaging and macros is the best place to find out more. Check it out today and discover some key tips and tricks when it comes to messages and macros:   Private Messaging: Learn how to enable private messages in your community profile and ensure you’re connected with other community membersMacros Explained: Discover the convenience of macros—prewritten text snippets that save time when posting in forums or sending private messagesCreating Macros: Follow simple steps to create your own macros for efficient communication within the Power Apps CommunityUsage Guide: Understand how to apply macros in posts and private messages, enhancing your interaction with the Community For detailed instructions and more information, visit the full page in your community today:Power Apps: Enabling Private Messaging & How to Use Macros (Power Apps)Power Automate: Enabling Private Messaging & How to Use Macros (Power Automate)  Copilot Studio: Enabling Private Messaging &How to Use Macros (Copilot Studio) Power Pages: Enabling Private Messaging & How to Use Macros (Power Pages)

Users online (4,668)