cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
espenjor
Level: Powered On

Chart - change Series

Are there anyway I can change what field to use in Series1 or Series2 in a Line- Barchart control in PowerApps?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Chart - change Series

@espenjor 

You cannot change the field holding Series1 by a command.  The solution is to instead make a new collection to hold only the current column and update that collection everytime a control (e.g. dropdown) is changed.

Suppose you have a dataset that looks like this:

ClearCollect(
    myDataset,
   {Year:2016, SeriesA:10, SeriesB:80},
   {Year:2017, SeriesA:20, SeriesB:40},
   {Year:2018, SeriesA:40, SeriesB:20}
);

I would put this code in the OnVisible property of my screen to create a new collection that would serve as the Items for my Chart.  The default series is "SeriesA" in this case.

ClearCollect(
    chartData,
    AddColumns(myDataset,"Value",SeriesA)
);

Next I would build a dropdown control so my user can select what series to view.  I put this code in the Items property of the dropdown.

["SeriesA","SeriesB"]

Finally, we need to update the chartData collection whenever the dropdown selection changes.  Put this code in the OnChange property of the dropdown.  Notice that chartData always has a single column called Value no matter what.  That is how you get around not being able to programatically change the column name.

Switch(
    Dropdown1.Selected.Value,
    "SeriesA",ClearCollect(chartData,AddColumns(myDataset,"Value",SeriesA)),
    "SeriesB",ClearCollect(chartData,AddColumns(myDataset,"Value",SeriesB))
);

Now when the dropdown selection changes so will the Chart supposing you have the following properties setup in your chart like this.

Items: chartData
Series1: Value

Hopefully you can take this short lesson and adapt the techniques to your use case.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

@espenjor

Yes, click on the chart and look in the advanced settings.

chgChartSeries.PNG

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

espenjor
Level: Powered On

I was a bit unclear in my question. I ment to ask if there are way I can change this filed (Series1) by a command /programmatically?

Super User
Super User

@espenjor 

You cannot change the field holding Series1 by a command.  The solution is to instead make a new collection to hold only the current column and update that collection everytime a control (e.g. dropdown) is changed.

Suppose you have a dataset that looks like this:

ClearCollect(
    myDataset,
   {Year:2016, SeriesA:10, SeriesB:80},
   {Year:2017, SeriesA:20, SeriesB:40},
   {Year:2018, SeriesA:40, SeriesB:20}
);

I would put this code in the OnVisible property of my screen to create a new collection that would serve as the Items for my Chart.  The default series is "SeriesA" in this case.

ClearCollect(
    chartData,
    AddColumns(myDataset,"Value",SeriesA)
);

Next I would build a dropdown control so my user can select what series to view.  I put this code in the Items property of the dropdown.

["SeriesA","SeriesB"]

Finally, we need to update the chartData collection whenever the dropdown selection changes.  Put this code in the OnChange property of the dropdown.  Notice that chartData always has a single column called Value no matter what.  That is how you get around not being able to programatically change the column name.

Switch(
    Dropdown1.Selected.Value,
    "SeriesA",ClearCollect(chartData,AddColumns(myDataset,"Value",SeriesA)),
    "SeriesB",ClearCollect(chartData,AddColumns(myDataset,"Value",SeriesB))
);

Now when the dropdown selection changes so will the Chart supposing you have the following properties setup in your chart like this.

Items: chartData
Series1: Value

Hopefully you can take this short lesson and adapt the techniques to your use case.

---

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,476)