cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RyoIshi731
Helper IV
Helper IV

Display data (type= choice in Sharepoint) in Check box format in Edit form.

Hi  

I am creating report with original source sharepoints.

I am setting Edit Form and want to display choice data in Check box format, is this possible?

Like below picture. This picture is from PDF.

RyoIshi731_0-1633425724341.png

Thanks in advance for your advice.

8 REPLIES 8
PriyankaGeethik
Super User
Super User

Hi @RyoIshi731 ,

Try choice data will multiselect option when creating the column in SharePoint.

If this post was helpful or you need more help please consider giving Thumbs Up and Tag me in your reply I'll be happy to help. If this post helped you solve your issue please click Accept as solution and provide Thumbs Up. This will help others find it more readily.

@PriyankaGeethik  

Thanks for your support.

I changed Sharepoint setting like this.

RyoIshi731_0-1633428457197.png

However the powerapps still show list down not checkbox. (item=service category)

RyoIshi731_1-1633428562355.png

RusselThomas
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @RyoIshi731 ,

Do you want them to be able to select multiple choices?

I believe there is a way to do what you want, but a lot depends on this feature.

Kind regards,

RT

@RusselThomas 

Yes, I want to select multiple choices.

How can I do it?  I have no idea so far.  Do you mean is it very complicated?

RusselThomas
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @RyoIshi731 ,

It's a little complicated, but I can walk you through it 🙂

First, can you tell me what your Edit form Item: property is please?

Kind regards,

RT

Thank you so much for your kind support.

I want to show check box for Service Category.

There are 8 items, so 8 checkbox is required.

Data source is Maintenance Report List in Sharepoint.

RyoIshi731_0-1633446555618.png

RusselThomas
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @RyoIshi731 ,

I'm going to sign off in a while, so I'll make an assumption that the Item: property of your update form is based on a selection in another gallery (i.e. BrowseGallery.Selected) and try to explain so long - and it's a long explanation only because I prefer to explain a lot, rather than just paste code snippets, which would certainly be a shorter post 😁

The thing to remember with Choices is that they are either records or tables - not just values.  Record if it's a single selection type, table if it's a multi-select type.  

Based on this construct, PowerApps will only allow you to save data back into SharePoint as long as it conforms to the original column construct which in this case would be a record or a table.

When you add an edit form, PowerApps will automatically pick a control based on the column type it gets from datasource info.  For choice columns, it will choose a dropdown for single-select choices and a combobox for multi-select choices.  In your case, we're considering multi-selects, so assuming you've updated SPO and refreshed the source inside PowerApps, your choice card Update: property will default to the combobox.SelectedItems property.  Whatever is selected in the combo will be saved back and overwrite what was there before, so if you had 20 options selected before and then unselect one of them, PowerApps will save back a table containing 19 items. This is important, because this is what we will hijack to replace the combobox with a checkbox gallery.  

To avoid picking up errors from anything you might have tried before, try this to test;

• Add a new screen and insert an edit form (don't duplicate your current screen as this will just carry everything across and the point is to start new to make sure it works first). 
  • Set the Item: property of the form as it's set on the original (for this example I'm assuming it's going to be a selected record from another gallery somewhere - in my case BrowseGallery.Selected)
  • Right-click your choice field card on your form and unlock it.
  • Select the current input control (should be a combobox if your column update has come through).
  • Insert a blank vertical gallery into the card.  Confirm that the gallery is inside the card by checking the hierarchy in your tree view and making sure it's at the same level as your combobox, indented under the card.  If it isn't, select the gallery and cut it with ctrl+x, then select the combobox (or any other) control inside your card again and paste with ctrl+v
  • Set the gallery Items: property to the same as your combobox Items: property - it should be something like

Choices([@yourSPOList].choiceColumnName)

where yourSPOList is your source and choiceColumnName is the name of the choice column.

• Set the Gallery layout to Title - we only need one field - now you should see your Gallery populate with your choices.  You can set the gallery Wrap: property to 2 so you get two choices side by side.  The text label should default to the first column value and Choice() only spits out one column by default named "Value" - so the text label Text: property should default to ThisItem.Value 
  • Format the label and with the label selected, add a checkbox to the gallery.  Again, make sure the checkbox is inside the gallery - easy to see as it will be repeated for each row of the gallery.  Clear the Text: property of the checkbox to get rid of the "Option" text and format the checkbox how you want it.

At this point you should be sitting with a checkbox gallery but the checkboxes aren't connected to the data.

Now comes the complicated bit - first, we need to make sure that your gallery of checkboxes and values picks up whatever has been saved already, so as you edit an existing record, what was selected before is checked, and what wasn't isn't. 

The Combobox solves this quite neatly as it has a DefaultSelectedItems property that can be populated with the current record values.  

Adding a gallery to a card is a little more challenging as it creates another level of scope, which means the gallery components can't necessarily "see" the record the form is editing.  For this to work, we need to reference the current record directly.  This is easy enough, but here I need to remind you that I have no clue what your form Item: property is - which tells the form what record it's editing - so I have to make one up.  You need to substitute my assumption, (BrowseGallery.Selected) for your actual form Item: property value.

Set the Checkbox Default: property to

ThisItem.Value in BrowseGallery.Selected.ChoiceColumn.Value

Now the checkboxes will align with whichever options were originally selected when the form is loaded.

Next, we need a way to collect the changes a user makes to this selection and save them back to SharePoint when the form is submitted.  I tend to find Gallery.AllItems is an unreliable data source, especially when its scope has been embedded in a form, so I prefer to construct this collection myself from the existing record, which is as simple as follows;

ClearCollect(collectUpdates, BrowseGallery.Selected.ChoiceColumn)

The only question is when do you do this - which is largely up to you and depends on the user experience. 

If you are using a browse gallery to select items to edit, you could create the collection using the same event that brings the user to this screen, (just before the Navigate() function), or when the screen loads by using the screen OnVisible: trigger, or any other event that makes sense to you - but for this example I'll just include a little logic in the checkbox OnCheck: and OnUncheck: events - because these events can occur multiple times in the same screen, we just need to add some logic to only create the collection if it's currently empty.

OnCheck:

If(
   IsEmpty(collectUpdates), 
    ClearCollect(collectUpdates, BrowseGallery.Selected.ChoiceColumn); 
    Collect(collectUpdates, ThisItem.Value),

Collect(collectUpdates, ThisItem.Value)
)
/*this checks if the collection has been created yet, and if not, creates it and adds the selected value - considering you can't check a checked box, it's safe to assume the value isn't in the list already.  If the collection isn't empty, we just add the value
Using ClearCollect() is a little redundant as we already know the collection is empty, but I wanted to highlight the difference between that and the Collect() which appends the data to the collection*/

If you're creating the collection elsewhere before you get to the screen or as you land on it, the only thing you need here is the Collect(collectUpdates, ThisItem.Value)

OnUncheck: (same idea as above, just removing the value instead of adding it)

If(
   IsEmpty(collectUpdates), 
    ClearCollect(collectUpdates, BrowseGallery.Selected.ChoiceColumn);
    RemoveIf(collectUpdates, Value=ThisItem.Value), 

RemoveIf(collectUpdates, Value=ThisItem.Value)
)

As per the above, if you're creating the collection elsewhere, the only thing you need here is RemoveIf(collectUpdates, Value=ThisItem.Value) 

Now, we just need to make sure that this collection gets cleared each time the screen is loaded.  There are other events you could use, but the OnVisible: event for the screen in this context is probably the most practical - so set the OnVisible: property of the edit form screen to

Clear(collectUpdates)

Nearly there - the last thing we need to do is change the card on the form to update SharePoint based on what's in the collection, instead of the combobox.  Make sure you have the card selected for the choice field in the form, easiest way is to select it on the tree view on the left.  Set the card's Update: property to

collectUpdates

Now, you should be able to test by adding a button to submit the form.  If everything works as expected, you can simply copy the gallery from this form's card to your original form's card and update the card Update: property - again, if the copy/paste pops the gallery outside the form, cut the gallery from where it landed and paste again into the card (if the card is locked it should prompt you to unlock it).

You can also now get rid of the combobox as it's not used or needed, but to make life easier you may want to copy its name first, then delete it, then rename your gallery to the same name as the combo.  This is only useful to avoid having to correct the hidden components of the card that refer to the combo and will error out when the combo disappears.  Once you rename the gallery to the combo, the other components will link to it automatically and the errors should disappear, then you can rename the gallery to whatever you want and the linked components will auto-update themselves.

Hope this helps 🙂

RT

Hi @RyoIshi731 ,

Sorry, not sure if this is translating correctly - I understand your data source is sharepoint, but the form Item: property tells the form which record in the source it's editing - this is the one we will want to substitute for Browse.Gallery.Selected in my answer.

Kind regards,

RT

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community Roundup: A Look Back at Our Last 10 Tuesday Tips

As we continue to grow and learn together, it's important to reflect on the valuable insights we've shared. For today's #TuesdayTip, we're excited to take a moment to look back at the last 10 tips we've shared in case you missed any or want to revisit them. Thanks for your incredible support for this series--we're so glad it was able to help so many of you navigate your community experience!   Getting Started in the Community An overview of everything you need to know about navigating the community on one page!  Community Links: ○ Power Apps ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio    Community Ranks and YOU Have you ever wondered how your fellow community members ascend the ranks within our community? We explain everything about ranks and how to achieve points so you can climb up in the rankings! Community Links: ○ Power Apps ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio    Powering Up Your Community Profile Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile. Community Links: ○ Power Apps ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio    Community Blogs--A Great Place to Start There's so much you'll discover in the Community Blogs, and we hope you'll check them out today!  Community Links: ○ Power Apps ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio    Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges Across the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. Check out some details on Community badges--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article! Community Links: ○ Power Apps  ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio    Blogging in the Community Interested in blogging? Everything you need to know on writing blogs in our four communities! Get started blogging across the Power Platform communities today! Community Links: ○ Power Apps  ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio   Subscriptions & Notifications We don't want you to miss a thing in the community! Read all about how to subscribe to sections of our forums and how to setup your notifications! Community Links: ○ Power Apps  ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio   Getting Started with Private Messages & Macros Do you want to enhance your communication in the Community and streamline your interactions? One of the best ways to do this is to ensure you are using Private Messaging--and the ever-handy macros that are available to you as a Community member! Community Links: ○ Power Apps  ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio   Community User Groups Learn everything about being part of, starting, or leading a User Group in the Power Platform Community. Community Links: ○ Power Apps  ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio   Update Your Community Profile Today! Keep your community profile up to date which is essential for staying connected and engaged with the community. Community Links: ○ Power Apps  ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio   Thank you for being an integral part of our journey.   Here's to many more Tuesday Tips as we pave the way for a brighter, more connected future! As always, watch the News & Announcements for the next set of tips, coming soon!

Calling all User Group Leaders and Super Users! Mark Your Calendars for the next Community Ambassador Call on May 9th!

This month's Community Ambassador call is on May 9th at 9a & 3p PDT. Please keep an eye out in your private messages and Teams channels for your invitation. There are lots of exciting updates coming to the Community, and we have some exclusive opportunities to share with you! As always, we'll also review regular updates for User Groups, Super Users, and share general information about what's going on in the Community.     Be sure to register & we hope to see all of you there!

April 2024 Community Newsletter

We're pleased to share the April Community Newsletter, where we highlight the latest news, product releases, upcoming events, and the amazing work of our outstanding Community members.   If you're new to the Community, please make sure to follow the latest News & Announcements and check out the Community on LinkedIn as well! It's the best way to stay up-to-date with all the news from across Microsoft Power Platform and beyond.    COMMUNITY HIGHLIGHTS   Check out the most active community members of the last month! These hardworking members are posting regularly, answering questions, kudos, and providing top solutions in their communities. We are so thankful for each of you--keep up the great work! If you hope to see your name here next month, follow these awesome community members to see what they do!   Power AppsPower AutomateCopilot StudioPower PagesWarrenBelzDeenujialexander2523ragavanrajanLaurensMManishSolankiMattJimisonLucas001AmikcapuanodanilostephenrobertOliverRodriguestimlAndrewJManikandanSFubarmmbr1606VishnuReddy1997theMacResolutionsVishalJhaveriVictorIvanidzejsrandhawahagrua33ikExpiscornovusFGuerrero1PowerAddictgulshankhuranaANBExpiscornovusprathyooSpongYeNived_Nambiardeeksha15795apangelesGochixgrantjenkinsvasu24Mfon   LATEST NEWS Business Applications Launch Event - On Demand In case you missed the Business Applications Launch Event, you can now catch up on all the announcements and watch the entire event on-demand inside Charles Lamanna's latest cloud blog.   This is your one stop shop for all the latest Copilot features across Power Platform and #Dynamics365, including first-hand looks at how companies such as Lenovo, Sonepar, Ford Motor Company, Omnicom and more are using these new capabilities in transformative ways. Click the image below to watch today!     Power Platform Community Conference 2024 is here! It's time to look forward to the next installment of the Power Platform Community Conference, which takes place this year on 18-20th September 2024 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas!   Come and be inspired by Microsoft senior thought leaders and the engineers behind the #PowerPlatform, with Charles Lamanna, Sangya Singh, Ryan Cunningham, Kim Manis, Nirav Shah, Omar Aftab and Leon Welicki already confirmed to speak. You'll also be able to learn from industry experts and Microsoft MVPs who are dedicated to bridging the gap between humanity and technology. These include the likes of Lisa Crosbie, Victor Dantas, Kristine Kolodziejski, David Yack, Daniel Christian, Miguel Félix, and Mats Necker, with many more to be announced over the coming weeks.   Click here to watch our brand-new sizzle reel for #PPCC24 or click the image below to find out more about registration. See you in Vegas!     Power Up Program Announces New Video-Based Learning Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram. These include a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the image below to find out more!     UPCOMING EVENTS Microsoft Build - Seattle and Online - 21-23rd May 2024 Taking place on 21-23rd May 2024 both online and in Seattle, this is the perfect event to learn more about low code development, creating copilots, cloud platforms, and so much more to help you unleash the power of AI.   There's a serious wealth of talent speaking across the three days, including the likes of Satya Nadella, Amanda K. Silver, Scott Guthrie, Sarah Bird, Charles Lamanna, Miti J., Kevin Scott, Asha Sharma, Rajesh Jha, Arun Ulag, Clay Wesener, and many more.   And don't worry if you can't make it to Seattle, the event will be online and totally free to join. Click the image below to register for #MSBuild today!     European Collab Summit - Germany - 14-16th May 2024 The clock is counting down to the amazing European Collaboration Summit, which takes place in Germany May 14-16, 2024. #CollabSummit2024 is designed to provide cutting-edge insights and best practices into Power Platform, Microsoft 365, Teams, Viva, and so much more. There's a whole host of experts speakers across the three-day event, including the likes of Vesa Juvonen, Laurie Pottmeyer, Dan Holme, Mark Kashman, Dona Sarkar, Gavin Barron, Emily Mancini, Martina Grom, Ahmad Najjar, Liz Sundet, Nikki Chapple, Sara Fennah, Seb Matthews, Tobias Martin, Zoe Wilson, Fabian Williams, and many more.   Click the image below to find out more about #ECS2024 and register today!   Microsoft 365 & Power Platform Conference - Seattle - 3-7th June If you're looking to turbo boost your Power Platform skills this year, why not take a look at everything TechCon365 has to offer at the Seattle Convention Center on June 3-7, 2024.   This amazing 3-day conference (with 2 optional days of workshops) offers over 130 sessions across multiple tracks, alongside 25 workshops presented by Power Platform, Microsoft 365, Microsoft Teams, Viva, Azure, Copilot and AI experts. There's a great array of speakers, including the likes of Nirav Shah, Naomi Moneypenny, Jason Himmelstein, Heather Cook, Karuana Gatimu, Mark Kashman, Michelle Gilbert, Taiki Y., Kristi K., Nate Chamberlain, Julie Koesmarno, Daniel Glenn, Sarah Haase, Marc Windle, Amit Vasu, Joanne C Klein, Agnes Molnar, and many more.   Click the image below for more #Techcon365 intel and register today!   For more events, click the image below to visit the Microsoft Community Days website.    

Tuesday Tip | Update Your Community Profile Today!

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   We're excited to announce that updating your community profile has never been easier! Keeping your profile up to date is essential for staying connected and engaged with the community.   Check out the following Support Articles with these topics: Accessing Your Community ProfileRetrieving Your Profile URLUpdating Your Community Profile Time ZoneChanging Your Community Profile Picture (Avatar)Setting Your Date Display Preferences Click on your community link for more information: Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages, Copilot Studio   Thank you for being an active part of our community. Your contributions make a difference! Best Regards, The Community Management Team

Hear what's next for the Power Up Program

Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram, including a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the link below to sign up today! https://aka.ms/PowerUp  

Tuesday Tip: Community User Groups

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   As our community family expands each week, we revisit our essential tools, tips, and tricks to ensure you’re well-versed in the community’s pulse. Keep an eye on the News & Announcements for your weekly Tuesday Tips—you never know what you may learn!   Today's Tip: Community User Groups and YOU Being part of, starting, or leading a User Group can have many great benefits for our community members who want to learn, share, and connect with others who are interested in the Microsoft Power Platform and the low-code revolution.   When you are part of a User Group, you discover amazing connections, learn incredible things, and build your skills. Some User Groups work in the virtual space, but many meet in physical locations, meaning you have several options when it comes to building community with people who are learning and growing together!   Some of the benefits of our Community User Groups are: Network with like-minded peers and product experts, and get in front of potential employers and clients.Learn from industry experts and influencers and make your own solutions more successful.Access exclusive community space, resources, tools, and support from Microsoft.Collaborate on projects, share best practices, and empower each other. These are just a few of the reasons why our community members love their User Groups. Don't wait. Get involved with (or maybe even start) a User Group today--just follow the tips below to get started.For current or new User Group leaders, all the information you need is here: User Group Leader Get Started GuideOnce you've kicked off your User Group, find the resources you need:  Community User Group ExperienceHave questions about our Community User Groups? Let us know! We are here to help you!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,491)