cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Filtering Large SharePoint Lists using a person / group column

Hi

I have a large SharePoint List ( > 2000 items) that has a person / Group field in it.

This article suggests that I should be able to filter this list on the Person / Group field :- https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powerapps-now-supports-working-with-more-than-256-items-i...

However I try, I still get the dreaded wavy blue line saying the filter will not work correctly with large datasets.

Surely there must be a number of HR SharePoint lists with > 2000 items which have got around this problem ?

Any help, greatly received.

Regards

Nigel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NigelP,

This warning indicates that a function can't be delegated, PowerApps might not be able to retrieve all of the data, and your app may have wrong results. About delegation, please refer to below documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/delegation-overview

The non-delegatable part seems to focus on the .Email part. 

Capture.JPG

To workaround this issue, you can first save your SharePoint list into a collection by setting below formula in the OnStart property of the first screen:

ClearCollect(Collection1,ListName)

Then use Collection1 as the data source in Filter function. 

Filter(Collection1, Person.Email=User().Email)

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User II
Super User II

Person is an embedded table and will always show a delegation error in sharepoint lists when used in powerapps. Unless there are more than 2000 names in the person field, I think it can be ignored. I think Kris @v-xida-msft may know how to unpack it as a collection so that it doesn't show the error. You may want to check @CarlosFigueira ,

’s blog post  Defining default values for complex SharePoint types in forms

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NigelP,

This warning indicates that a function can't be delegated, PowerApps might not be able to retrieve all of the data, and your app may have wrong results. About delegation, please refer to below documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/delegation-overview

The non-delegatable part seems to focus on the .Email part. 

Capture.JPG

To workaround this issue, you can first save your SharePoint list into a collection by setting below formula in the OnStart property of the first screen:

ClearCollect(Collection1,ListName)

Then use Collection1 as the data source in Filter function. 

Filter(Collection1, Person.Email=User().Email)

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Thanks @v-monli-msft

So does this mean that the article :-  https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powerapps-now-supports-working-with-more-than-256-items-i... is incorrect then ?

One thing work pointing out is that  Person.Email=User().Email) is SLOW.

A better way would be set a global variable Set(useremail, User().Email) and then the filter comes :-

Filter(Collection1, Person.Email=useremail)

which is much quicker.

Regards

Nigel

I found this could solve my problem of delegation, too. But in this case, does Person still subject to the limit of 2000 items?

Martin

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (48,517)