cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmcgurn01
Advocate II
Advocate II

Gallery scrolling performance issues

I'm hoping there's some kind of planned performance improvement work on the gallery control, but posting this, in case there isn't.

At present, the gallery control is incredibly clunky/laggy when scrolling any faster than what I'd consider to be "unreasonablly slow".  The behavior is 

1. I scroll
  2. The rows move up
  3. There is a huge empty whitespace for about 1-2 seconds
  4. The white space fills up as the elements render
  5. Repeat process

I will note:

• It doesn't matter if I bind the gallery to a local collection or directly to the data source.   Since my data source (Azure SQL) is too large to be cached to a collection, I'm limited to direct binding anyways.
  • It's reproducible in web player (Chrome browser) and mobile (iPad app)
  • I am using ThisItem to bind all data to controls in the gallery.  At this point, I have 8 controls total in the template row, which are a mix of images (2 icons) and labels (6 of those).
  • It seems to be completely unrelated to latency in the network.  I can verify this by watching the troubleshooting console, and the lag isn't tied to any network calls, though I do see those happen at each 100 rows of data or so.
  • I can reproduce this on other data sources that I am caching to a local collection on app OnStart, where I see this empty whitespace when I scroll fast enough to where the gallery would need to render more than ~5 rows at a time.  In that case, the datasource is cached to a local collection, and that gallery only has 5 labels in the template row.

I'm attaching a video of this behavior.  While the lag you see might be "acceptable", it's not a great user experience on any platform. I understand that the gallery is probably working as designed for keeping resource utilization low on mobile devices, however, since this can be reproduce on mobile, too, I'm asking that Microsoft improve this. 

82 REPLIES 82
jared_simmons
Advocate I
Advocate I

Web client performance is fine for me, my issue regarding this was with the Windows client.

If my 2 cents can be of help to you @pmcgurn01 and others with similar problems:

@pmcgurn01 wrote:

This forum is infuriating.  Every time I post, it loses the original and I have to re-write it.  Having to save my original content to a notepad just in case I hit the "unexpected error occurred" failure makes me post less.

Rant on that, over.  Now on to my reply.

It's definitely not caused by network latency.  I profiled it in Chrome, and there's a clear lag in scroll performance even when not calling for data from the data source via network.  So that rules out the cached local collection vs. data source binding conversation entirely.  My DS and use case for this screen are too big to cache anyways.

The screen I'm testing this with has a gallery that contains 10 UI elements in the template, where 7 are DS-bound and 3 are static images/labels.  Of the 7, 5 are labels and 2 are read-only radio buttons.  The app checker shows no warnings related to anything on the app other than warnings on accessibility text.

So, I really hope Microsoft is working on improving this performance, because it's unusable at scale and making me reconsider my decision to use the PowerApps platform to deploy apps within my company.

If both, PowerApps gallery and the forum are giving you issues, then your computer might need some tuning and maintenance. I have no performance problems at all.

Forum: I have no issues with the forum using Chrome. Keep in mind that computers and browsers need a regular cleanup including malware removal, unwanted software, addons, cache, etc. I would install a dedicated development browser, and only use it for PowerApps and related development tasks. Choose a browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge), do a fresh install, don't install addons unless necessary.

PowerApps Gallery: I have large galleries with nested galleries, and other formulas for on-the-spot calculations, and the performance is good. 

Try testing it on another computer or try a different browser. You'll notice the difference. Make sure the computer is powerful enough, at least with a 4 cores processor and at least 16GB of RAM. 

If you running it on a laptop, make sure that battery settings are not set to saving battery, but set to max performance. 

If you have performance issues with the browser and with PowerApps, the best thing you can do, it's to have a dedicated development computer, without any unneeded software, and with recurring cleanups. 
Make sure your computer is modern and with a good amount of RAM.

I have 32GB of RAM and have no performance issues, even though my computer is already outdated. But I keep it clean. PowerApps runs smoothly and the forums gives me no issues.

For the annoying post problem. If you just type "This is my Post" and then go back and edit the post it works. 

Memory and battery have NOTHING to do with this.  FWIW, my machine is a high end Macbook Pro, and neither CPU or Memory are ever an issue. 

Multiple end users of apps published by multiple app builders would indicate a shortcoming in the platform, not our well-equipped computers and mobile devices.  So it works fine for you?  Congrats, the rest of us suffer.

@pmcgurn01 wrote:

Memory and battery have NOTHING to do with this.  FWIW, my machine is a high end Macbook Pro, and neither CPU or Memory are ever an issue. 

Multiple end users of apps published by multiple app builders would indicate a shortcoming in the platform, not our well-equipped computers and mobile devices.  So it works fine for you?  Congrats, the rest of us suffer.

If you have a high-end machine, there could be another problem causing the gallery to perform poorly or getting stuck. 

For example, some databases or spreasheets API have a limited amount of queries per second, or similar restrains. One of my galleries, had a sub-gallery, and it was getting stuck when loading. It was taking forever to load. Then, I found that my queries were getting blocked by the data source. It was my fault, not my computer, not Microsoft.

Another cause of performance issue, it's inefficient formulas or the way the app is designed.

I would recreate the gallery from scratch within a new app, and start adding few formulas gradually, and testing performance. Any software has bugs, and our job is to find resolutions to create a final product that works as intended. We can't just blame it on Microsoft.

Since your browser is giving you issues as well, there must be something going on with your system, or there is a compatibility issue. 

PaulD1
Community Champion
Community Champion

I see (and have always seen) the same in galleries in Power Apps. If you scroll more than a few rows you will get a blank space and a brief pause before the rows will then appear. It typically takes a little less than a second for the rows to appear (assuming there are no complex formulas or data calls involved),  but it is certainly noticeable and I would say your gif is typical of the behviour I see.

If your gallery is based on a delegable data call you will also get a delay once you hit row 100 as that triggers Power Apps to go get the next 100 rows, then when you hit row 200 you get another delay and so on. I think this is preferable to the alternative of bringing in all the records up to the delegable limit (so no pause when hitting record 100) but having the initial records render more slowly (because more records are being fetched), but you can use FirstN to get that behaviour if you wish (though you then can't scroll beyond the delegable limit unless you add code to perform some sort of 'paging'.

Fortunately this doesn't really bother me too much (though it would be nice to see it improved and would leave users with a better impression of the product) and it is just one of those cons to balance against the pros when deciding if Power Apps is the right tool for a specific scenario.

cwebb365
Most Valuable Professional

Running into this as well. The gallery control does not work well when using more than 3 - 5 controls it seems in a template item. Trying to create grid like views, it starts to get quickly worse over time. If you only show 5-10 records it works fine, but you start showing more rows it starts to tank performance in not just scrolling but selecting rows etc. 

Data Table would be epic for this use case and it's performance is great, but it's very limited as I need multi select capabilities that it doesn't provide. If only we could get a few updates to that it would work great. Tons of columns, grid view, and it's fast and resizes etc. 

I'm starting to look into this custom canvas grid control. But haven't the slightest clue on how these work, but if I can figure it out I'll pass on the knowledge, but this would be perfect if I can get it working with multiple dataset lookups for conditional formatting etc. Create canvas app dataset component in Microsoft Dataverse - Power Apps | Microsoft Docs

Anyway, I know it's a year later and problem still seems unsolved. Guessing you went another route or had to change design considerations on some stuff. Anyway, if you have found any solutions since, let me know!

cwebb365

And to everyone suggestion data source/ delegation etc. the original post said he tested with local collection :P. Anyone can reproduce this, create a gallery, shrink the template size down to like 20, add a 20 height horizontal container throw in a 20 height label, copy and paste the label like 10 times. Connect it all to just a basic Thisitem.id field from the data source with 200 records. Try to scroll. It def. lags :P. 

At this point no solution, gallery issues still there (note two years since this was raised here). I created a ticket with microsoft once I came on board, and nothing. At this point, you are following the best path for performance - use datatables. I haven't created dataset components yet, just normal components. Definitively going to install that one you linked to and try it out! Thanks so much for posting that. Great case for why we should keep cases alive for years.

We were running into something very similar with one of our galleries this week. We ran around in circles trying to figure out why items weren't loading up faster. In the end, we determined that the issue was actually that the gallery  was slow to recalculate it's height. When we changed the gallery to a fixed height, then things scrolled super smooth. 

Not sure if that's applicable to your case, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Helpful resources

Announcements

Calling all User Group Leaders and Super Users! Mark Your Calendars for the next Community Ambassador Call on May 9th!

This month's Community Ambassador call is on May 9th at 9a & 3p PDT. Please keep an eye out in your private messages and Teams channels for your invitation. There are lots of exciting updates coming to the Community, and we have some exclusive opportunities to share with you! As always, we'll also review regular updates for User Groups, Super Users, and share general information about what's going on in the Community.     Be sure to register & we hope to see all of you there!

April 2024 Community Newsletter

We're pleased to share the April Community Newsletter, where we highlight the latest news, product releases, upcoming events, and the amazing work of our outstanding Community members.   If you're new to the Community, please make sure to follow the latest News & Announcements and check out the Community on LinkedIn as well! It's the best way to stay up-to-date with all the news from across Microsoft Power Platform and beyond.    COMMUNITY HIGHLIGHTS   Check out the most active community members of the last month! These hardworking members are posting regularly, answering questions, kudos, and providing top solutions in their communities. We are so thankful for each of you--keep up the great work! If you hope to see your name here next month, follow these awesome community members to see what they do!   Power AppsPower AutomateCopilot StudioPower PagesWarrenBelzDeenujialexander2523ragavanrajanLaurensMManishSolankiMattJimisonLucas001AmikcapuanodanilostephenrobertOliverRodriguestimlAndrewJManikandanSFubarmmbr1606VishnuReddy1997theMacResolutionsVishalJhaveriVictorIvanidzejsrandhawahagrua33ikExpiscornovusFGuerrero1PowerAddictgulshankhuranaANBExpiscornovusprathyooSpongYeNived_Nambiardeeksha15795apangelesGochixgrantjenkinsvasu24Mfon   LATEST NEWS Business Applications Launch Event - On Demand In case you missed the Business Applications Launch Event, you can now catch up on all the announcements and watch the entire event on-demand inside Charles Lamanna's latest cloud blog.   This is your one stop shop for all the latest Copilot features across Power Platform and #Dynamics365, including first-hand looks at how companies such as Lenovo, Sonepar, Ford Motor Company, Omnicom and more are using these new capabilities in transformative ways. Click the image below to watch today!     Power Platform Community Conference 2024 is here! It's time to look forward to the next installment of the Power Platform Community Conference, which takes place this year on 18-20th September 2024 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas!   Come and be inspired by Microsoft senior thought leaders and the engineers behind the #PowerPlatform, with Charles Lamanna, Sangya Singh, Ryan Cunningham, Kim Manis, Nirav Shah, Omar Aftab and Leon Welicki already confirmed to speak. You'll also be able to learn from industry experts and Microsoft MVPs who are dedicated to bridging the gap between humanity and technology. These include the likes of Lisa Crosbie, Victor Dantas, Kristine Kolodziejski, David Yack, Daniel Christian, Miguel Félix, and Mats Necker, with many more to be announced over the coming weeks.   Click here to watch our brand-new sizzle reel for #PPCC24 or click the image below to find out more about registration. See you in Vegas!     Power Up Program Announces New Video-Based Learning Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram. These include a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the image below to find out more!     UPCOMING EVENTS Microsoft Build - Seattle and Online - 21-23rd May 2024 Taking place on 21-23rd May 2024 both online and in Seattle, this is the perfect event to learn more about low code development, creating copilots, cloud platforms, and so much more to help you unleash the power of AI.   There's a serious wealth of talent speaking across the three days, including the likes of Satya Nadella, Amanda K. Silver, Scott Guthrie, Sarah Bird, Charles Lamanna, Miti J., Kevin Scott, Asha Sharma, Rajesh Jha, Arun Ulag, Clay Wesener, and many more.   And don't worry if you can't make it to Seattle, the event will be online and totally free to join. Click the image below to register for #MSBuild today!     European Collab Summit - Germany - 14-16th May 2024 The clock is counting down to the amazing European Collaboration Summit, which takes place in Germany May 14-16, 2024. #CollabSummit2024 is designed to provide cutting-edge insights and best practices into Power Platform, Microsoft 365, Teams, Viva, and so much more. There's a whole host of experts speakers across the three-day event, including the likes of Vesa Juvonen, Laurie Pottmeyer, Dan Holme, Mark Kashman, Dona Sarkar, Gavin Barron, Emily Mancini, Martina Grom, Ahmad Najjar, Liz Sundet, Nikki Chapple, Sara Fennah, Seb Matthews, Tobias Martin, Zoe Wilson, Fabian Williams, and many more.   Click the image below to find out more about #ECS2024 and register today!   Microsoft 365 & Power Platform Conference - Seattle - 3-7th June If you're looking to turbo boost your Power Platform skills this year, why not take a look at everything TechCon365 has to offer at the Seattle Convention Center on June 3-7, 2024.   This amazing 3-day conference (with 2 optional days of workshops) offers over 130 sessions across multiple tracks, alongside 25 workshops presented by Power Platform, Microsoft 365, Microsoft Teams, Viva, Azure, Copilot and AI experts. There's a great array of speakers, including the likes of Nirav Shah, Naomi Moneypenny, Jason Himmelstein, Heather Cook, Karuana Gatimu, Mark Kashman, Michelle Gilbert, Taiki Y., Kristi K., Nate Chamberlain, Julie Koesmarno, Daniel Glenn, Sarah Haase, Marc Windle, Amit Vasu, Joanne C Klein, Agnes Molnar, and many more.   Click the image below for more #Techcon365 intel and register today!   For more events, click the image below to visit the Microsoft Community Days website.    

Tuesday Tip | Update Your Community Profile Today!

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   We're excited to announce that updating your community profile has never been easier! Keeping your profile up to date is essential for staying connected and engaged with the community.   Check out the following Support Articles with these topics: Accessing Your Community ProfileRetrieving Your Profile URLUpdating Your Community Profile Time ZoneChanging Your Community Profile Picture (Avatar)Setting Your Date Display Preferences Click on your community link for more information: Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages, Copilot Studio   Thank you for being an active part of our community. Your contributions make a difference! Best Regards, The Community Management Team

Hear what's next for the Power Up Program

Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram, including a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the link below to sign up today! https://aka.ms/PowerUp  

Tuesday Tip: Community User Groups

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   As our community family expands each week, we revisit our essential tools, tips, and tricks to ensure you’re well-versed in the community’s pulse. Keep an eye on the News & Announcements for your weekly Tuesday Tips—you never know what you may learn!   Today's Tip: Community User Groups and YOU Being part of, starting, or leading a User Group can have many great benefits for our community members who want to learn, share, and connect with others who are interested in the Microsoft Power Platform and the low-code revolution.   When you are part of a User Group, you discover amazing connections, learn incredible things, and build your skills. Some User Groups work in the virtual space, but many meet in physical locations, meaning you have several options when it comes to building community with people who are learning and growing together!   Some of the benefits of our Community User Groups are: Network with like-minded peers and product experts, and get in front of potential employers and clients.Learn from industry experts and influencers and make your own solutions more successful.Access exclusive community space, resources, tools, and support from Microsoft.Collaborate on projects, share best practices, and empower each other. These are just a few of the reasons why our community members love their User Groups. Don't wait. Get involved with (or maybe even start) a User Group today--just follow the tips below to get started.For current or new User Group leaders, all the information you need is here: User Group Leader Get Started GuideOnce you've kicked off your User Group, find the resources you need:  Community User Group ExperienceHave questions about our Community User Groups? Let us know! We are here to help you!

Super User of the Month | Ahmed Salih

We're thrilled to announce that Ahmed Salih is our Super User of the Month for April 2024. Ahmed has been one of our most active Super Users this year--in fact, he kicked off the year in our Community with this great video reminder of why being a Super User has been so important to him!   Ahmed is the Senior Power Platform Architect at Saint Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis. He's been a Super User for two seasons and is also a Microsoft MVP! He's celebrating his 3rd year being active in the Community--and he's received more than 500 kudos while authoring nearly 300 solutions. Ahmed's contributions to the Super User in Training program has been invaluable, with his most recent session with SUIT highlighting an incredible amount of best practices and tips that have helped him achieve his success.   Ahmed's infectious enthusiasm and boundless energy are a key reason why so many Community members appreciate how he brings his personality--and expertise--to every interaction. With all the solutions he provides, his willingness to help the Community learn more about Power Platform, and his sheer joy in life, we are pleased to celebrate Ahmed and all his contributions! You can find him in the Community and on LinkedIn. Congratulations, Ahmed--thank you for being a SUPER user!  

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,755)