cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

PowerApps and Flow Licensing

I would like to give the background before the ask.

Current Environment : SP2013 on premise

Planned Migration : SP2019 on premise

InfoPath forms : 50

List Workflows : 106

Site Workflows : 22

All Users Licensed with Microsoft 365 E3 .

We are thinking to choose PowerApps as alternative to InfoPath forms and PowerAutomate aka flows as alternate to Designer workflows.

coming to the ask

Power Apps:

1) I heard that from SP2019 onwards we can customize the list forms using  power apps please confirm  is it true ? as we would like to customize the list forms same as that InfoPath form using PowerApps so that we can overcome creating separate apps for each list.

2)As all our users are licensed with Microsoft E3 license I believe they can run the PowerApps but not create PowerApps , considering that can we just purchase PowerApps per user license for only our developers and utilize them in customizing the forms\creating apps for our SP lists so that all the remaining users can run or utilize them as the have Microsoft E3 license ?

PowerAutomate a.k.a flows:

1) As flow need to be created for SharePoint On-Premise environment I believe Microsoft 365 E3 does not support it, so do we need to purchase separate flow licenses ?

Use case query:

Lets say ,
A user with powerapps license created an app or customized the List form using powerapp (replacement for List InfoPath form) for  OnPremise SharePoint 2019 environment and then created and attached a flow (with per flow license  which is an replacement for List Workflow ) which also connects to On-Premise SharePoint environment.

1)can a user with just Microsoft 365 E3 License access that app and fill the details (similar to infopath published on List) and initiate the flow created on it ? (considering the licenses)

2)can a user with just Microsoft 365 E3 License trigger a Microsoft Flow created as smiliar to Site workflow of SP2019 onpremise environment?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Re: PowerApps and Flow Licensing

Your main licensing issue is that you are in an on-premises environment.  To use Power Apps and Power Automate iin that kind of environment requires use of the On-Premises gateway, which is a premium feature.  Your Office E3 license only covers standard features for the Power Platform apps.  So to use it on-premises you would need to purchase per user licenses for all your users.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Highlighted

Thank you , that would be a straight solution , but to minimize the cost we are looking for alternate solutions,

to address the gateway feature I have pointed of purchasing PowerApps license for develeopers.

could you please review my queries and provide your response per query.

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Without moving everything to Office 365 online there are no alternatives.  All of your queries would require the on-premises gateway and therefore all of the scenarios that remain on-premises would require premium licensing.  Since you are clearly using multiple apps, per app licensing wouldn't work.  So your only choices are either to go online or buy per user licensing across the board.

So the answer for both #1 and #2 is NO.

Highlighted

Thank you , can we purchase per user license for PowerApps and per flow license for flows (instead of per user ) will that be an option for our environment to consider

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Per User = Per User for Power Apps.  The Per User for Power Apps should be the only license you will need.  It includes the ability to run flows on the data source you are using in Power Apps either with a trigger in Power Apps or triggered by something the user does.  Its only if you want to use Flow with something premium unrelated to what you are doing in Power Apps that you will need the standalone Power Automate (flow).  Since this is all about using Power Apps and Power Automate with an On-premises SharePoint 2019 you should be fine with just the Power Apps per user license.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,001)