cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grahampasmurf
Advocate III
Advocate III

PowerApps for browsing SharePoint Online lists, libraries, as replacement for SharePoint app?

Some of users SharePoint Online want to view our content, especially lists & libraries, using their mobile phone.

The SharePoint app does not display the data well and has limitations on how much can be configured.

I think this dilemma can be solved by PowerApps.   Before I start developing a new app, does anyone know of something similar that I could use as a guideline?

I want the user to open PowerApps on their phone, open our app, and be able to browse and select from all of their favorite lists & libraries on our SharePoint site and then view the data they want and have different views for displaying on the phone. I will probably have to create a Gallery for every list I want to display, and a Gallery to allow the user to select from those lists.

Any tips or advice?  Wish me luck!

3 REPLIES 3
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @grahampasmurf ,

That is a pretty broad question, so I will try to give a broad answer.

PowerApps canvas apps are just that - a blank sheet of paper on which to display and manage content. Galleries are similar I concept to a SharePoint filtered list and can be configured to display pretty much anything from a data source. Try making the sample phone app from your SharePoint list and you will see both galleries and item display screens.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Thanks Warren.

I made a sample app and it is starting to work well.  I picked 3 lists from our site that are frequently used.  I created a SharePoint list with the names & descriptions of those lists, so that these choices will appear in the Gallery in PowerApps.

Then in the OnSelect for that item in the Gallery, I use a Switch() statement to determine which screen to navigate to.  If user selected List1, it does a Navigate to Screen1, and if List2 then Navigate to Screen2, etc.

On Screen1, it has another Gallery which displays the popular columns of the list, and I added Sort and Filter options too.

Now I will repeat the process and create screens for about 10 or 15 of the other popular lists and libraries on our site and that will make for a nice, handy SharePoint Online list browser app that will be a lot more convenient for our users than the SharePoint app.

Ok thanks @grahampasmurf ,

You are starting your PowerApps journey with an admirable amount of self-reliance. Happy to help if you hit a snag,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Users online (2,086)