Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Requirements Gathering and App Architecture Help

Hello, 

After much effort "hacking" on an app, I think I'm going back to the drawing board due to the complexity that has resulted! 

I need some PowerApp architecture (Sharepoint list columns, Galleries, Forms, etc.) advice on the following requirements. I'm hoping that this exercise will help other "non-programmers" through the process of requirements gathering and architecting as well. This is a critical process as PowerApps, due to its nature as a "low code solution", pulls more non-programmers into the mix.

Business Requirements

• Supervisors are responsible for 1-10 Employees
  • There are 13 tasks that Supervisors must evaluate Employees on
    • These tasks can be evaluated in any order
  • Supervisors must perform a minimum of 3 evaluations per month on different Employees (unless they are responsible for 2 or less Employees)
  • Supervisors must evaluate all 13 tasks every 6 months
    • 6 month period 1: Jan. 1 - Jun. 30,
    • 6 month period 2: Jul. 1 - Dec. 31
  • Supervisors evaluate a different Employee each time until the 6 month period ends, then restart the process for the next period.

Reporting Requirements: 

• Need a way to ensure Supervisors have completed at least 3 evaluations each month
  • Need a way to ensure Supervisors have completed all 13 evaluations each half (6 month period)
  • Need a way to notify Supervisors if they have not done either of the above. 

IT Requirements: 

• Must use a Sharepoint list as a Data Source

Questions: 

• What are some best practices for drafting up business requirements such as these?
    • Is there some type of table or matrix that would help with determining functions/galleries/sharepoint lists I need?
  • How do I determine the best Sharepoint-PowerApp relationships?
    • What tables do I need, etc.?
  • What are some other approaches to fleshing out a logical, simple to implement PowerApp? 
    • While going my own route, I ended up with an app that is complete and functional, but does not meet the Reporting Requirements lined out above. And I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the reports I need from the current Sharepoint List/Gallery I have. 

Any advice here would go a long ways to helping new PowerApps users get this critical definition done before embarking. 

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,362)