cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dhiran
Helper III
Helper III

Setting up a variable onVisible

I have created a simple form from a SharePoint list which contains 4 text fields (Field 1,2,3 and Status) 

In the form I have 3 buttons outside the SharePoint Form, Employee, Line Manager and Escalation. When you press any of the button it will show the relevant field (Employee = Field 1, Line manager = Field 2 and so on) by setting a variable to the value of the button. The fields have the visible property set to the variable to show the right field. 

After each stage I am updating the Status to show its moved to the next stage. 

What I would like to do is when a user opens the form, depending on what stage (Status) its at, I would like to show the appropriate  field set but how do I access the Status value for the record with onVisible?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dhiran 

You could try a Switch statement 

OnVisible = Switch(Status.Value,

"Employee", Set(Field1_variable, true),

"Line Manager, Set(Field2_variable,true)

... and so on

)

I need a little more detail to give an exact answer but this code gives you the basic structure.

Hi @Anonymous 

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that on a very simple form and the screen does not even update when I click on a existing record. 

Screenshot.png

OnVisible.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dhiran 

Can you please share your code. How are you setting your show/hide variables? My suggest was very generic so you would need to adjust to suit your situation. Without any code reference I cannot support you further.

Hi @Anonymous 

I subsequently found that if I use SharePoint Integrated function, I can get the value of any column in the current record. 

So my onVisible property is set to 

If(IsMatch(SharePointIntegration.Selected.'Accident Report Status',"LineManager"),Set(varFormTab,"Line Manager"),If(IsMatch(SharePointIntegration.Selected.'Accident Report Status',"HSC"),Set(varFormTab,"HSC Evaluation"),Set(varFormTab,"Employee"))) 

but it the next problem is that if evaluates the if statement before it loads the form and therefore every single time its set to "Employee"

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dhiran 

Try removing the second If() statement. In PowerApps, the If Statement looks like this

If( Condition1, ThenResult1, [Condition2, ThenResult2] ... [, DefaultResult)

So you chain conditions with the required result you want

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,105)