Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shugs
Advocate I
Advocate I

lookup control list from sharepoint not alphabetized

Hi,

I have a problem in my app with the EditForm generated from a sharepoint list (called 'Hours') in which I have a lookup field based on another sharepoint list 's column (called 'Project') containing the projects' names. The aim  is to select a project from the dropdown list of project names to associate with the work hours that are entered in another datacard. Now, the display of my sharepoint list 'Project' alphabetizes the projects by their name and when I enter work hours in the sharepoint 'Hours', the dropdown list of project names is correctly displayed (in alphabetical order). But when I'm using the app, the dropdown list of project names, in the EditForm of the sharepoint list 'Hours', displays the project list in the order I entered them. Does anyone have any idea on how I can fix this and get the list in alphabetical order?

Many thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
KC
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Hi Shugs,

If you haven't already, try the Sort function.

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/function-sort/

Hi KC,

I don't have any item field in the EditScreen generated from my sharepoint or in the DataCard or DataCardValue in question. To what should I apply it?  

Tom_Slosse
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hey @shugs

You could use SortByColumns(<datasource>, "<SharePointFieldToSortOn>", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending))

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Tom

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered.

Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up.

Hi Tom_Slosse,

I wanted to use the autogenerated control for this but there is no access to the items. I tried creating a new control in my form and using the formula you mentionned but that is not working either. As I said, the order in the dropdown diplayed in sharepoint is correct but not in powerapp. I'm starting to think this might be a bug.

Correction : I managed to to sort those by creating a new control. Still interested in finding a solution for the autogenerated controls.

Still haven't found a solution to my problem : I'll try to rephrase it.

I have an EditForm generated from a sharepoint list Hours. In Hours, I have a Research column which is giving a choice between different project listed in another sharepoint Project. The projects listed in Project are ordered by alphabetical order as well as  in the dropdown list displayed in Hours. Now when I generate an EditForm from this, the dropdown list in the app (DataCardValue) lists the projects by the order in which they were entered in Project.

The autogenerated dropdown control in the EditForm (DataCardValue), corresponding to the Research column in Hours, doesn't contain any item field allowing to sort the choices, as suggested by @KC and @Tom_Slosse. I tried to work around the problem by inserting a new DropDown control with items sorted from the Project list, but I couldn't figure how to get this accepted in the EditForm for the sharepoint Hours.

Any help?

Clearer problem explanation and answer in another post.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,534)