Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sajarac
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Sending an Email Reminder

Hi there,

I have a share point list "Employees" and I would like to send an email reminder 3 days before and event occur like the birthday or a contract renewal. Both dates are in the past so that is why is getting tricky to figure this thing. I mean for the birthday we are now interested in the year just to match mm/dd with today's mm/dd, and the same for the contract renewal.

So I have created this complicated SPL where basically I am extracting the MM/dd from the birthday and Hire date and the MM/dd from today's and comparing values making an IF Statement. The problem is Sharepoint doesn't update a calculate field so my Current date keeps in the date that was saved or updated. I have tried many ways and none of them works. 

So, to summarize contract flow and BirthdayFlow will appear 4 days "Yes" until both days are exactly i.e 12/21 eq 12/21 that condition plus if active2 = Yes, will trigger the flow. 

I can't get this to work for the SPL side, I have tested and I can get the email reminder but if I update the SPL.

Someone could point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Picture1.pngPicture2.png

9 REPLIES 9
ScottShearer
Super User III
Super User III

@sajarac 

First, if your TodayMD column is a calculated column, it won't get updated unless you edit and save each individual item.

There are a number of different solutions to your issue.  Can you tell me how many items are in your list so that I might suggest the appropriate solution?

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

Thank you very much for your prompt response, in the list I have 50 items and it won't increase more than that

Also I am implementing this but flow is complaining also:

sajarac_0-1608570379095.png

formatDateTime(outputs('Compose'),'MM/dd')

addDays(utcNow(),-3,'MM/dd')

Hi @ScottShearer , I have changed the structure a little bit, and I am getting an email reminder but only in the day of the event. 

So, could you please advise how can I add a condition to check 3 days in advance?

DOBMD = 12-22

sajarac_0-1608668410125.png

formatDateTime(outputs('Compose'),'MM-dd')

formatDateTime(utcNow(), 'MM-dd')

Thank you kindly
bottekott
Advocate II
Advocate II

DAYOFYEAR Function | Microsoft Docs

Returns an integer, 1 to 366, that represents the sequential day of the year in datetime or expression. The DAYOFYEAR function uses the Gregorian calendar.

So, to check if DOB is 3 days ahead do this:

• Compose (remove 3 days from DOB): addDays(DOB,-3)
  • OR use the "subtract from time" action, subtract 3 days

• Condition;
    • dayOfYear(output from previous step)
    • is equal to
    • dayOfYear(utcNow())

This will probably be 1 day off in leap years, but you can adjust your flow those years if you want to :).

KoenM
Helper I
Helper I

@sajarac 

the way I implement to sent a birthday reminder is the following:

* I have a sharepoint list where the birthdate is kept in text format

* every day I run a flow that takes this birthdate minus the year, so I only keep mm/dd

* this is evaluated with today() + 5 (send a reminder 5 days in advance)

*if this is true I add the first and last name to a variable

* later on I check if this variable contains any characters, if not it's nobody's birthday in the next 5 days and I terminate the flow. If yes, an email is send to the rest of the team informing them of a birthday coming up

KoenM_0-1608719440364.png

KoenM_1-1608719555572.png

Thank you both @bottekott and @KoenM. I still getting mental with this. I have 3 flows and only one is working so far:

Flow 1 = Send an email reminder for Birthday \ Not working!

Flow 2= Send an email reminder for Contract Renewal \ Not working!

Flow 3= Send a Birthday Card. | Working !!!!

The send an email reminder for a birthday and contract renewal I would like to happens  3 days before the day of the event, 2 days and the day of the event.

And also I have changed my SPL to get both values DOB and HireDate with this format MM-dd. don't know if this helps but having the format MM/dd flow was complaining.

sajarac_5-1608738443169.png

sajarac_6-1608738454124.png

Now I am stuck again don't know how to add that condition for the birthday reminder and the contract renewal.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Hello @KoenM ,

Related to your message in this topic. Could you please be so kind and describe a little more specific the last point "send to the rest of the team...". I have very simillar situation but i can't handle how to exclude the birthday celebrant from recipient list. 

Hi,

I use a double condition to check if the member of my list has a birthday, else he's on the "others" list.

condition birthdayboy: if today() = DOB

condition others: if today() != DOB

you can change today() to today()+5 if you want a 5 day advance notice

if condition birthdayboy = true --> append email address to varBirthdayboy

if condition others = true --> append email address to varOthers

ultimately check if varBirthdayboy != empty, then send the email to varOthers

Loop this every day for every member and you will have to variables when someone's birthday is coming up. Only send a warning to the others list, the birthdayboy will probably know his birthday is coming up 😉

KoenM_0-1614285368309.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (1,332)