cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lguzmanc433
Frequent Visitor

When trying to connect to Dataverse: (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Hi,

I have weeks developing reports in Power Bi connected to a dataverse environment with Direct Query in Power Bi. However, I have several days now trying to connect and I´m getting the following SQL Connection error:

DataSource.Error: Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
Details:
DataSourceKind=CommonDataService
DataSourcePath=myenvironment
Message=A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

lguzmanc433_0-1627401083606.png

I´m currently connecting from a Virtual Machine, due to credentialing purposes on the organization. However other members from the organization that are able to connect to the report without the VDI, are being able to connect.

Any ideas on how to workaround this problem?

Kind regards!

1 REPLY 1
vikasp
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi, This error most likely is caused due to the connection from your client unable to reach the server. If others in the organization are able to connect to the endpoint but unable to connect in this specific case, recommend troubleshooting any networking issues/firewall policies on the client machine/VM. Please ensure the ports 1433/5558 are open and also ensure you are able to telnet to the organization as mentioned in the troubleshooting steps here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/developer/data-platform/dataverse-sql-query#establish-a-t....

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,413)