cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aenglehart
Level: Powered On

Microsoft Flow - Excel File Locked While Not Open

Good morning,

I work for an institution of Higher Education, and my team and I have been attempting to transition several of our business processes that are used with our residential population to Microsoft Flow.

Recently, we've had some issues with one of our Flows that don't seem to stem from the logic. The Flow uses a series of approval emails to roommates and administrative staff, to approve overnight guests. However, when attempting to write new data or modify existing data on the excel spreadsheet that we would use to track requests, the Flow will sometimes fail due to the errow below. It seems to happen when multiple requests are submitted within a few minutes of each other, and/or approval emails are responded to promptly, which would result in the excel row being modified quite quickly, after its initial creation. I am aware that the error will often come up when a user has the spreadsheet open somewhere. That is not the case in this instance. We have no need to have the spreadsheet open, since Flow should be doing all of the editing. Anyways, here are screenshots of the overall flow, and the error. The exact text of the error is  ""status"423,
  "message""Cannot write file to filesource. File is being locked.\r\nclientRequestId: 8d4f41ba-4cf2-4137-86bf-5daf085a39bc",
  "source""excelconnectionprovider-westus.tip0-westus.p.azurewebsites.net"

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Microsoft Flow - Excel File Locked While Not Open

Hi @aenglehart,

The error message told that you have no access to write file to filesource which is being locked. I think this issue is related to the multiple requests. 

For example, your first flow run which is trigger by your first request is executing the "Update row" action and is not completed, your second request is submitted. When your second flow run is going to execute the "Update row" action and the "Update row" action of your first flow run is not completed, your second flow run would fail. The error message would show up as below:

"status": 423,
"message": "Cannot write file to filesource. File is being locked.\r\nclientRequestId: 8d4f41ba-4cf2-4137-86bf-5daf085a39bc",
"source": "excelconnectionprovider-westus.tip0-westus.p.azurewebsites.net"

You could consider take a try to add a "Delay" action before your "Update row 7" action within "If/no" branch of Condition 2, the flow's configuration as below:20.JPG

Within "Delay" action, Unit field set to Minute, Count field set to a proper integer value. Please take a try with above workaround and check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
aenglehart
Level: Powered On

This seems to have worked, Kris. Thank you! 

SylvieLet17
Level 8

Hey, I'm having the same issue, and a 3 minute delay hasn't helped me. 

My flow is:
When a file is created (Sharepoint online library)

Get Tables (excel online)

list rows present in table (excel online)

initialize a couple variables

delay 3 minutes

update document metadata

Then I get the "file is locked" error. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users online (4,253)