cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TechDH
Level: Powered On

how to capture file name from document library file upload using standard approval Flow

I'm trying to use a basic Approval Flow template (found in the standard Flow templates, seems to be designed for Lists) with a document library in SharePoint Online (O365).

After selecting site, the List drop-down does not show document libraries so I have to manually type the library name.

This in turn does not show all the columns from my library which has some custom columns added. However, I don't see even standard file attributes like file name.

I would like to select the file name or "Name" column for the "Title" in the approval email but none of the standard document library columns are listed in the "Add Dynamic Content" section. Instead I see colmuns like Email, Job Title, Department, etc.

The flow is triggered properly and I receive an email but since there is no File Name reference in the Title I get an email with a link that does not tell me anything about the file name.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: how to capture file name from document library file upload using standard approval Flow

Hi TechDH,

I assume you are trying to create a flow which is triggered by “SharePoint – When a file is created”, then followed by the action “Office 365 Outlook – send an approval email”.

When using the trigger “When a file is created”, after you enter the Site Address, click the Show Picker button, then you could see all the Lists and Libraries on your site.

Below is the flow I created to send an approval email when a file is created. When using the trigger “when a file is created”, I can select the Document Library I created from my side. Then I select File name and File content from the dynamic content.

This flow is working fine on my side.

3.PNG

4.PNG

About SharePoint Document Library Custom columns, currently it is not available to use these Custom Columns as Dynamic content in Flow. Please consider to vote and comment this idea at here:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Ability-to-use-custom-columns-from-Doc-library-in-add...

Please feel free reply if I misunderstand your scenario.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: how to capture file name from document library file upload using standard approval Flow

Hi TechDH,

I assume you are trying to create a flow which is triggered by “SharePoint – When a file is created”, then followed by the action “Office 365 Outlook – send an approval email”.

When using the trigger “When a file is created”, after you enter the Site Address, click the Show Picker button, then you could see all the Lists and Libraries on your site.

Below is the flow I created to send an approval email when a file is created. When using the trigger “when a file is created”, I can select the Document Library I created from my side. Then I select File name and File content from the dynamic content.

This flow is working fine on my side.

3.PNG

4.PNG

About SharePoint Document Library Custom columns, currently it is not available to use these Custom Columns as Dynamic content in Flow. Please consider to vote and comment this idea at here:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Ability-to-use-custom-columns-from-Doc-library-in-add...

Please feel free reply if I misunderstand your scenario.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

TechDH
Level: Powered On

Thank you.

I was able to get the filename working by starting with a blank Flow instead of using the standard approval template prior to receiving your response. You are correct in what I was trying to do.

However, my next problem is getting it to send a response email to the requestor (the person who uploaded the file) once the approver responds. Flow does not show the email for the person who uploaded the file. It only shows Approver and Approval related fields. So I’m unable to dynamically populate the email address field in the form.  I can manually put an email and it works but it needs to be the email of the uploader so they know the status of their upload.  This is necessary to complete the intended design but does not seem to be an option to select. I tried using the search but its not there.

Is this just a limitation because Flow cannot show that yet and will be in a future release?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi TechDH,

About your second question, seems that currently we don’t have a dynamic content can be used to get the Email Address for created user likes when using the trigger “SharePoint - When an item is created”.

3.PNG

When using the trigger "SharePoint - When an item is created", we can selecte the dynamic content "Created by Email".

4.PNG

I haven’t seen a related ideas on Flow Ideas Forum, I guess it should be a good addition. Please consider to create a new one at here. I will also collect and report this request from my side.
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users online (4,442)