cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MaxDonen Helper V
Helper V

Flow to send excel as attachment does not fully populate attached excel doc.

(I posted a similar issue earlier on the 'general' forum, but figured it might be more relevant here. Apologies if this goes against posting rules, but I'm honestly not sure where else to look.)

Here's my flow (I can't find a way to post screenshots on this forum):

1) Flow triggered in powerapps. Email parsed to Flow. OK. 

2) Get items from: sharepoint list. OK. 

3) List rows present in: sharepoint excel doc. OK. 

4) Apply to each: excel row, add sharepoint rows to sharepoint excel doc. OK. (The excel table populates fine.)

5) Get file metadata: excel doc. OK.

6) Get file content: excel doc. OK. 

7) Get file metadata: excel doc. OK. 

8 ) Send email (v2) with excel doc as attachment: Attached Excel doc has several rows missing from sharepoint list.

Why might this be? I have tried delays of up to a minute and isolating individual steps, with no success.

I do note that when I removed steps 1-4, and pre-populated excel doc with the same info, it successfully sent all rows into the resulting excel attachment. So this leads me to believe that the 'get file content' task is being run before the excel doc has been fully populated...but adding a delay before the 'get file content' task, even of 30 seconds, and even for a small number of rows (eg 3) did not solve this!

Could the underlying cause be that the flow is attempting to run certain tasks in parallel, and if so, is there any way to prevent future tasks being run before present tasks are complete? I have tried initialising and evaluating variables to try to accomplish this without success-is there a better approach? 

It does not matter whether the list starts off with only, say, 5 rows, or 50; some rows are always missing. 

Any help would be much appreciated-thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Flow to send excel as attachment does not fully populate attached excel doc.

Hi @MaxDonen ,

@MaxDonen wrote:

4) Apply to each: excel row, add sharepoint rows to sharepoint excel doc. OK. (The excel table populates fine.)

Why are you apply to each excel row to add sharepoint rows to the excel.

The apply to each for excel rows is not needed and you should apply to each sharepoint items to add the rows to excel table.

Also please add a delay for several minutes before the Get file content action.

Please take a try and let me know with the screenshot if your issue still exists.

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Flow to send excel as attachment does not fully populate attached excel doc.

Hi @MaxDonen ,

@MaxDonen wrote:

The apply to each for excel rows is not needed and you should apply to each sharepoint items to add the rows to excel table.

Also please add a delay for several minutes before the Get file content action.

Please take a try and let me know with the screenshot if your issue still exists.

Best regards,

Alice       

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

MaxDonen Helper V
Helper V

Thanks for the reply. 

Apologies: I worded this part incorrectly. By 'apply to each' I meant to the sharepoint list, not to the excel doc. You were right to flag that point!

I have added a 2min delay to my flow before getting file content, and it seems to work fine now. 

I should add that if the original sharepoint list contains more than 100 rows, then default Flow settings ignore any additional rows. I fixed this by selecting 'settings' for the 'get items' (from sharepoint) part of my flow, and then setting the 'pagination'  to 'on', and the pagination limit to the maximum, 5000. 

This seems to have worked!

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MaxDonen ,

Please feel free to ask here if you have any problems.

Best regards,

Alice       

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Automate Community!

firstImage

Now Live: Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Users online (6,856)