cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Trigger flow when only one field in list is modified

Hello - I have a flow that triggers an automated email when a list field, "Status" changes from 'Open' to closed. However, the email triggers whenever any field is changed. Is there a way to fine tune so that this will only trigger on the desired field and no other field?

inkedFlow.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Trigger flow when only one field in list is modified

Hi @TGMarsh,

As @ScottShearer said, there is no any trigger on a special column in list is modified,if you would like to trigger a flow when a special column in list is modified,

I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

You could take the alternative way offered by @ScottShearer, however, the alternative way wouldn't work when the field value in the list is modified several times.

I have another alternative way, you could also take a try with mine.

1. Add a yes/no type column "Status is changed" in the sharepoint list.

2.Every time a user modify the list, if he have modify the "Status" column,he must modify the "Status is changed" column to "Yes", 

if he haven't modify the "Status" column,he must keep the  "Status is changed" column to "No".

3.You could add an condition under the trigger to check if the "Status is changed" column is equal to true or false.if the "Status is changed"column is equal to true,send the email,if the  the "Status is changed" column is equal to false,do nothing.

Best regards,

Alice

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

The short answer is no, you can't  have a Flow trigger only when a specified column is changed,

The simple work around is to store a copy of the column data in a separate column.  When the Flow is triggered, compare the two columns.  If they are the same, do nothing,  If they are not the same, take action as appropriate and update the additional column to match the value in the column you are monitoring.

There are other more elegant solutions, but what I have presented is the quick and simple fix.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TGMarsh,

As @ScottShearer said, there is no any trigger on a special column in list is modified,if you would like to trigger a flow when a special column in list is modified,

I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

You could take the alternative way offered by @ScottShearer, however, the alternative way wouldn't work when the field value in the list is modified several times.

I have another alternative way, you could also take a try with mine.

1. Add a yes/no type column "Status is changed" in the sharepoint list.

2.Every time a user modify the list, if he have modify the "Status" column,he must modify the "Status is changed" column to "Yes", 

if he haven't modify the "Status" column,he must keep the  "Status is changed" column to "No".

3.You could add an condition under the trigger to check if the "Status is changed" column is equal to true or false.if the "Status is changed"column is equal to true,send the email,if the  the "Status is changed" column is equal to false,do nothing.

Best regards,

Alice

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hello,

I know how old this is but I have a question that is related to this one. When trying to trigger a flow based off the value of a specific column using a condition is there a way for it to recognize string values?

Like if you want an email sent only when Column A reads "send email" is there a way to do this? I tried to use one of my columns in a condition and for flow to check if a specific string was selected but it never works.

Highlighted

I hate to comment on a stale thread; but I have found a way to trigger an approval flow based on a field value.

It looks like everyone has some kind of status field that needs to be evaluated (it's really how I started). After following the information posted at the beginning of the thread; I tested and received the expected result of failure.

However, if you initialize a variable and pull that field value into it (Initialize variable, then set variable to field value; in my instance the second step for setting was to use 'status value'). Once that is pulled into a variable the statement can be evaluated with the condition statement. I've tested on several different tables within my instance of SharePoint and it's pretty effective every time.

Highlighted

@clbrown1983 , can you post a screen shot of the solution?

Highlighted

I can't do the image attachment (DLP Policies for my organization). But I can do the JSON code:

"Initialize_variable_-_StatusField": {
							"runAfter": {
								"Initialize_variable_-_EmailString": ["Succeeded"]
							},
							"type": "InitializeVariable",
							"inputs": {
								"variables": [{
										"name": "StatusField",
										"type": "String"
									}
								]
							}
						},
						"Set_variable_-_StatusField": {
							"runAfter": {
								"Initialize_variable_-_StatusField": ["Succeeded"]
							},
							"type": "SetVariable",
							"inputs": {
								"name": "StatusField",
								"value": "@triggerBody()?['Status']?['Value']"
							}
						}

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@clbrown1983 I think the problem with your code is that if any other column's value changes and if your Status column has a value in it (whether its the same or changed status), it will trigger the flow as well.

Highlighted

Correct; it will trigger for any modification; but will only proceed if the status field is equal to something I've configured to run.

I've done this on a few flows and it works fairly flawlessly.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Any changes to PowerAutomate on this issue? In the last 6 months, there have been massive strides in updates to PowerApps but wasn't sure about Automate. 

Highlighted

I don't know if this has been covered in a different forum item or not but I use a Switch in these scenarios. The trigger is the same as in the original post (item in list is modified), and next I add the Switch and specify the Status column using Dynamic Content. This then gives you the ability to add Cases, and here you use the Status options from your column (manually typed in not selectable as dynamic content so watch out for spelling!). You can then build out the rest of your flow with email notifications etc as you would with a condition. It works really well for status columns with multiple options (max I've used is 8 so far) sending notifications to different people in a process when the status value changes each with a customised message. Hopefully this helps

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Yes! I switched to using "switch" back in August and have used it exclusively. Works so much better than the condition. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,861)