cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Best Pracrice for Bulk import in Canvas App

Hi, 

Im looking for some advice on a way to allow users of a canvas app to bulk import a table of data. I have come to a dead-end with trying to import an excel file/table on their local machine and the only way I can see how to do this is to copy and paste the table from excel into a text input, then split the text by a delimiter (tab) and push the result into a collection. 

This would make for a pretty awful UI, so I'm wondering if there is any other way? 

note, this is not related to bulk importing data when creating/editing the app, this is bulk import while users are running the canvas app. 

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Best Pracrice for Bulk import in Canvas App

Hi @tapper ,

What is your data source - I can help you with SharePoint, but not other.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi, the data source is a .xslx or CSV, but I'm open to changing this as the app matures. 

At its heart, I'm looking for the best way to bulk import data into Power Apps from a user perspective, instead of having to key in 50+ lines of data each time they have to report stock levels.

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @tapper ,

If you make the table area big enough in Excel, you can cut and paste into this - we actually do this with reference data supplied by a customer into one of our few remaining Excel sheets. You can also do this in SharePoint in  a datasheet view (new records) - you just have to make sure they are done in batches, the size depending on the number of columns to avoid throttling.

Is this what you are referring to?

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi, 

Thank you so much @WarrenBelz for your quick response.

I think it may be me not quite grasping your reply, but the issue im having is importing from Excel into the Canvas App (not app to excel export). 

Would you be able to expand on your response if your solution is regarding importing the data into PowerApps?

Thanks 

Steve

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @tapper ,

Power Apps does not have data of its own - it needs a data source such as Excel or SharePoint. You can connect an Excel file stored in OneDrive and as I suggested, make the table area big enough to paste in new data.  I would however for many reasons recommend SharePoint in preference to this. My comment there was that you can paste Excel data directly into a SharePoint Datasheet view set up with the same columns and order. You just have to do them in batches.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @tapper ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

August 2020 CYST Challenge

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Users online (5,127)