cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do checkboxes have to be connected to a field in a datasource or can it function independently setting a variable to true or false?

Hi,

Do checkboxes have to be connected to a field in a datasource or can it function independently setting a variable to true or false?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SunnyB
Frequent Visitor

Hi Daniel,

A checkbox can either update a field in the data source as you mention, or you could use the OnCheck, OnUncheck and OnSelect properties to update a local variable to true/false

For example
Set OnCheck -

UpdateContext({LocalVar: true})

Set OnUncheck - 
UpdateContext({LocalVar: false})

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SunnyB
Frequent Visitor

Hi Daniel,

A checkbox can either update a field in the data source as you mention, or you could use the OnCheck, OnUncheck and OnSelect properties to update a local variable to true/false

For example
Set OnCheck -

UpdateContext({LocalVar: true})

Set OnUncheck - 
UpdateContext({LocalVar: false})

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SunnyB , Many thanks this is great!

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

Just as a follow on - You can simply refer to a checkbox to determine its value.  You don't need to use consuming variables to determine a checkbox value.

ex.  Checkbox1.Value  will be either true or false when you reference it in your app.  So, for example, if you have a TextInput and a Checkbox1 and you set the Visible of the TextInput to : Checkbox1.Value then the TextInput would only be visible when the checkbox is checked.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!
askondo
Community Support
Community Support

@SunnyB @RandyHayes Thanks for always helping to keep the forum active. Please keep up the good work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RandyHayes , many thanks! This simplifies things greatly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,046)