cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
admiralman
Helper I
Helper I

Create Table Excel

I have tried to create a flow that triggers when an email with an attachment is received. It then downloads the attachment to OneDrive to a file named Employees.xlsx. This portion of the flow works perfectly. I need to read the data within the Excel file to post it to an SP list. Since Get Rows is deprecated and my file does not have a table I need to use the Create Table with Excel Online Business. I have tried this within one flow with a delay of 5 minutes between the Create File and the Create Table actions and receive the following error from the Create Table action:

{
"status": 404,
"message": "The resource could not be found.\r\nclientRequestId: 6ff46304-d3ee-42bd-82fa-321f945df761\r\nserviceRequestId: 7a4c1f71-1a47-4a7a-bfd0-314913ff208c",
"source": "excelonline-ncus.azconn-ncus.p.azurewebsites.net"
}

I have tried to set this up as two flows with the first getting the attachment from the email and saving and the second triggered by a new file creation. The second then tries the Create Table with a delay of 5 minutes before hand with the same issue. I have scoured the forums and the internet and this seems like a common problem along with file locking issues. Is MS Flow just not mature enough yet to handle an operation of this sort? I have seen one implementation that utilizes the Graph but if I have to go that route I would pursue other options and eliminated the reliability issues of Flow altogether. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ok, so the issue is creating a table in the existing Excel document in the first Flow... I have just updated my previous example which has worked fine:

1.PNG

The Flow run:

1.PNG

The resulting file:

1.PNG

So this should cover your requirements for Flow 1:

1. Save the file

2. Create the table

Set Flow 2 to be triggered by an update to the File (You may need to add logic for recursive events):

1. Get the Data

2. Add the data to the excel document

HTH

Jay

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
Jay-Encodian
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @admiralman 

Can you please share screen shots of your Flow configuration, specifically the 'Create File and 'Create Table' actions?

The following Flow worked fine for me... you'd just need to add configuration to do something with the data obtained from the Excel file:

1.png

I used the following expression to name the file:

concat(utcNow(),'.xlsx')
NOTE: This Flow would also required some conditional logic to ensure the Flow only ran under specific circumstances to prevent failures for multiple attachments, etc.

HTH

Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.

If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up

Thanks @Jay-Encodian ,

Here are the two flows side by side. As I mentioned before, I had everything in one flow and the same results.  Remember, I am saving to OneDrive and I have to Create Table as it doesnt exist in the Attachment.

Flow.PNG

Hey @admiralman 

Referring to my working example Flow.... this downloads the attachment from the email, obtains the data from the spreadsheet... you'd just need to add additional logic reference to what you wanted to do with each row of data from the spreadsheet.

Am I missing something extra in your requirements that this Flow doesn't cover?

Jay

The issue is not knowing HOW to do this, its the fact that it doesn't work. I can create the file but a table is required in order to get the rows in the Excel document. I try to Create Table I get the error I mentioned. The resource is there because I just created it but there is something causing an error.  Why don't you try this on your side?

1. Get excel document that doesn't have a table from email and save it to a OneDrive.

2. Create an Excel table in the downloaded Excel document. 

3. Get all rows from Excel table and load into SP List.

That is what I'm trying to accomplish...your example doesn't have those complications.

@admiralman 

Please remember we are a community giving up our own time to help you.

Your requirements of adding data to the table were not clear, which is why the original example didn't include that example and I'd asked for you to clarify.

The steps still do not make sense to me and your Flow configuration looks confused against your requirements:

1. Get excel document that doesn't have a table from email and save it to a OneDrive - OK

2. Create an Excel table in the downloaded Excel document. - OK

3. Get all rows from Excel table and load into SP List. - When was data added to the table? I assume this should be the other way around?

May be of interest: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Create-a-Worksheet-and-Table-in-Excel-and-then-ad...

I think you need to do the following:

Flow 1

1. Extract the Excel document from the Email then add to OneDrive or SharePoint
  2. Create the Table in the Excel document
  3. Trigger another Flow (Flow 2)

Flow 2

1. Get data which you need to add to the Table
  2. Add the data to the Table

Or for absolute clarity are you simply saying that you cannot find a way to add the table to the Excel document after you have added the file to OneDrive / SharePoint? If there's a file locking issue have you considered processing on Azure storage to work around?

Jay

@Jay-Encodian 

The data already exists within the Excel document however there is not a Table (Named Range) defined on the Excel sheet. Without that, you can't use the "List rows present in a table" action of the Excel Online for Business connector. 

Hopefully this will answer:

3. Get all rows from Excel table and load into SP List. - When was data added to the table? I assume this should be the other way around?

For your other suggestion..l have tried and the Create Table action fails with the same message.

Flow 1

1. Extract the Excel document from the Email then add to OneDrive or SharePoint
  2. Create the Table in the Excel document
  3. Trigger another Flow (Flow 2)

Flow 2

1. Get data which you need to add to the Table
  2. Add the data to the Table

Ok, so the issue is creating a table in the existing Excel document in the first Flow... I have just updated my previous example which has worked fine:

1.PNG

The Flow run:

1.PNG

The resulting file:

1.PNG

So this should cover your requirements for Flow 1:

1. Save the file

2. Create the table

Set Flow 2 to be triggered by an update to the File (You may need to add logic for recursive events):

1. Get the Data

2. Add the data to the excel document

HTH

Jay

@Jay-Encodian That seems to work and thank you. I was looking for a solution using OneDrive for Business but I accepted this all the same. Any idea if this could work in OneDrive instead of an SP library?

@admiralman 

Good news 

Ref OneDrive; I don’t foresee why it wouldn’t work but unless these files are personal document they should really be in SharePoint even if they are transient. It should be simple to test, just replace the SharePoint actions with the OneDrive equivalents

Anonymous
Not applicable

I hit a similar issue with the 404 Resource could not be found error message when trying to create a table on an existing XLSX file in OneDrive (for Business). Stumbled across this thread, and following the recommended Solution (saving to Sharepoint instead of OneDrive) was able to get it to work.

That then got me thinking about why it wasn't working in OneDrive. So I spent some time troubleshooting and figured it out.

In the "Excel Create Table" flow if you use the file name of like /MyFolder/filename.xlsx , the flow will FAIL with the 404 resource error.

Where as if you use the Dynamic Expression "Id" which is the unique identfier of the file (From the OneDrive Create File flow or from the OneDrive Get Metadata flow). Then it runs successfully! Seems calling Excel Create Table doesn't play nicely with the actual reference file name.

2020-03-10 12_54_27-Window.png

Thank u! Using file metadata ID solved my problem

RCB
Frequent Visitor

rcheetah, you are a gift from heaven.  I've been trying to get a string expression to work for days.  When you select a file from the chooser on that action, it populates the chooser's textbox with a path to the file.  But if you copy that very same path into an expression on the textbox, the flow fails.  Infuriating.

Using the ID leads to success.  The folks who made this action need a talking to when it comes to user expectations.  

To add to this, how can you create a table if you dont know how many rows there are?  Is there a way to get the total number of rows, to pass into the Table Create function?

I did a Create Table and specified a table range that I knew was larger than my data set. I then did a list rows present in table and passed that value to a filter array. I filtered the array based upon a column value being not

empty "empty of column1 is equal to bool false"

2021-02-22 10_57_06-Power Apps.png

Clever idea @admiralman - so this will only add rows with data to the list and ignore empty rows? And could you clarify the "empty" filter - not finding it.

admiralman
Helper I
Helper I

It is...wish I could take credit but I found the solution on here. Yes, it will filter them out.

empty(item()?['First Column in Excel'])
Nabrina_Pow
Regular Visitor

How do i set the Table Range, while the file is coming from email and the rows are dynamic

For mycase an email  with 2 csv attachment comes to a shared mailbox every week. 

As suggested above by @admiralman , create the table with enough rows to accommodate the largest number possible, and then apply filter so only rows with data are passed to the list. 

Hello there

I am doing the exercise but it does not work for me

Do you have any idea?

pronuer_0-1633028252945.png

Helpful resources

Announcements

Calling all User Group Leaders and Super Users! Mark Your Calendars for the next Community Ambassador Call on May 9th!

This month's Community Ambassador call is on May 9th at 9a & 3p PDT. Please keep an eye out in your private messages and Teams channels for your invitation. There are lots of exciting updates coming to the Community, and we have some exclusive opportunities to share with you! As always, we'll also review regular updates for User Groups, Super Users, and share general information about what's going on in the Community.     Be sure to register & we hope to see all of you there!

April 2024 Community Newsletter

We're pleased to share the April Community Newsletter, where we highlight the latest news, product releases, upcoming events, and the amazing work of our outstanding Community members.   If you're new to the Community, please make sure to follow the latest News & Announcements and check out the Community on LinkedIn as well! It's the best way to stay up-to-date with all the news from across Microsoft Power Platform and beyond.    COMMUNITY HIGHLIGHTS   Check out the most active community members of the last month! These hardworking members are posting regularly, answering questions, kudos, and providing top solutions in their communities. We are so thankful for each of you--keep up the great work! If you hope to see your name here next month, follow these awesome community members to see what they do!   Power AppsPower AutomateCopilot StudioPower PagesWarrenBelzDeenujialexander2523ragavanrajanLaurensMManishSolankiMattJimisonLucas001AmikcapuanodanilostephenrobertOliverRodriguestimlAndrewJManikandanSFubarmmbr1606VishnuReddy1997theMacResolutionsVishalJhaveriVictorIvanidzejsrandhawahagrua33ikExpiscornovusFGuerrero1PowerAddictgulshankhuranaANBExpiscornovusprathyooSpongYeNived_Nambiardeeksha15795apangelesGochixgrantjenkinsvasu24Mfon   LATEST NEWS   Business Applications Launch Event - On Demand In case you missed the Business Applications Launch Event, you can now catch up on all the announcements and watch the entire event on-demand inside Charles Lamanna's latest cloud blog.   This is your one stop shop for all the latest Copilot features across Power Platform and #Dynamics365, including first-hand looks at how companies such as Lenovo, Sonepar, Ford Motor Company, Omnicom and more are using these new capabilities in transformative ways. Click the image below to watch today!   Power Platform Community Conference 2024 is here! It's time to look forward to the next installment of the Power Platform Community Conference, which takes place this year on 18-20th September 2024 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas!   Come and be inspired by Microsoft senior thought leaders and the engineers behind the #PowerPlatform, with Charles Lamanna, Sangya Singh, Ryan Cunningham, Kim Manis, Nirav Shah, Omar Aftab and Leon Welicki already confirmed to speak. You'll also be able to learn from industry experts and Microsoft MVPs who are dedicated to bridging the gap between humanity and technology. These include the likes of Lisa Crosbie, Victor Dantas, Kristine Kolodziejski, David Yack, Daniel Christian, Miguel Félix, and Mats Necker, with many more to be announced over the coming weeks.   Click here to watch our brand-new sizzle reel for #PPCC24 or click the image below to find out more about registration. See you in Vegas!       Power Up Program Announces New Video-Based Learning Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram. These include a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the image below to find out more!   UPCOMING EVENTS Microsoft Build - Seattle and Online - 21-23rd May 2024 Taking place on 21-23rd May 2024 both online and in Seattle, this is the perfect event to learn more about low code development, creating copilots, cloud platforms, and so much more to help you unleash the power of AI.   There's a serious wealth of talent speaking across the three days, including the likes of Satya Nadella, Amanda K. Silver, Scott Guthrie, Sarah Bird, Charles Lamanna, Miti J., Kevin Scott, Asha Sharma, Rajesh Jha, Arun Ulag, Clay Wesener, and many more.   And don't worry if you can't make it to Seattle, the event will be online and totally free to join. Click the image below to register for #MSBuild today!   European Collab Summit - Germany - 14-16th May 2024 The clock is counting down to the amazing European Collaboration Summit, which takes place in Germany May 14-16, 2024. #CollabSummit2024 is designed to provide cutting-edge insights and best practices into Power Platform, Microsoft 365, Teams, Viva, and so much more. There's a whole host of experts speakers across the three-day event, including the likes of Vesa Juvonen, Laurie Pottmeyer, Dan Holme, Mark Kashman, Dona Sarkar, Gavin Barron, Emily Mancini, Martina Grom, Ahmad Najjar, Liz Sundet, Nikki Chapple, Sara Fennah, Seb Matthews, Tobias Martin, Zoe Wilson, Fabian Williams, and many more.   Click the image below to find out more about #ECS2024 and register today!     Microsoft 365 & Power Platform Conference - Seattle - 3-7th June If you're looking to turbo boost your Power Platform skills this year, why not take a look at everything TechCon365 has to offer at the Seattle Convention Center on June 3-7, 2024.   This amazing 3-day conference (with 2 optional days of workshops) offers over 130 sessions across multiple tracks, alongside 25 workshops presented by Power Platform, Microsoft 365, Microsoft Teams, Viva, Azure, Copilot and AI experts. There's a great array of speakers, including the likes of Nirav Shah, Naomi Moneypenny, Jason Himmelstein, Heather Cook, Karuana Gatimu, Mark Kashman, Michelle Gilbert, Taiki Y., Kristi K., Nate Chamberlain, Julie Koesmarno, Daniel Glenn, Sarah Haase, Marc Windle, Amit Vasu, Joanne C Klein, Agnes Molnar, and many more.   Click the image below for more #Techcon365 intel and register today!     For more events, click the image below to visit the Microsoft Community Days website.      

Tuesday Tip | Update Your Community Profile Today!

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   We're excited to announce that updating your community profile has never been easier! Keeping your profile up to date is essential for staying connected and engaged with the community.   Check out the following Support Articles with these topics: Accessing Your Community ProfileRetrieving Your Profile URLUpdating Your Community Profile Time ZoneChanging Your Community Profile Picture (Avatar)Setting Your Date Display Preferences Click on your community link for more information: Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages, Copilot Studio   Thank you for being an active part of our community. Your contributions make a difference! Best Regards, The Community Management Team

Hear what's next for the Power Up Program

Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram, including a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the link below to sign up today! https://aka.ms/PowerUp  

Super User of the Month | Ahmed Salih

We're thrilled to announce that Ahmed Salih is our Super User of the Month for April 2024. Ahmed has been one of our most active Super Users this year--in fact, he kicked off the year in our Community with this great video reminder of why being a Super User has been so important to him!   Ahmed is the Senior Power Platform Architect at Saint Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis. He's been a Super User for two seasons and is also a Microsoft MVP! He's celebrating his 3rd year being active in the Community--and he's received more than 500 kudos while authoring nearly 300 solutions. Ahmed's contributions to the Super User in Training program has been invaluable, with his most recent session with SUIT highlighting an incredible amount of best practices and tips that have helped him achieve his success.   Ahmed's infectious enthusiasm and boundless energy are a key reason why so many Community members appreciate how he brings his personality--and expertise--to every interaction. With all the solutions he provides, his willingness to help the Community learn more about Power Platform, and his sheer joy in life, we are pleased to celebrate Ahmed and all his contributions! You can find him in the Community and on LinkedIn. Congratulations, Ahmed--thank you for being a SUPER user!

Tuesday Tip: Getting Started with Private Messages & Macros

Welcome to TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   As our community family expands each week, we revisit our essential tools, tips, and tricks to ensure you’re well-versed in the community’s pulse. Keep an eye on the News & Announcements for your weekly Tuesday Tips—you never know what you may learn!   This Week's Tip: Private Messaging & Macros in Power Apps Community   Do you want to enhance your communication in the Community and streamline your interactions? One of the best ways to do this is to ensure you are using Private Messaging--and the ever-handy macros that are available to you as a Community member!   Our Knowledge Base article about private messaging and macros is the best place to find out more. Check it out today and discover some key tips and tricks when it comes to messages and macros:   Private Messaging: Learn how to enable private messages in your community profile and ensure you’re connected with other community membersMacros Explained: Discover the convenience of macros—prewritten text snippets that save time when posting in forums or sending private messagesCreating Macros: Follow simple steps to create your own macros for efficient communication within the Power Apps CommunityUsage Guide: Understand how to apply macros in posts and private messages, enhancing your interaction with the Community For detailed instructions and more information, visit the full page in your community today:Power Apps: Enabling Private Messaging & How to Use Macros (Power Apps)Power Automate: Enabling Private Messaging & How to Use Macros (Power Automate)  Copilot Studio: Enabling Private Messaging &How to Use Macros (Copilot Studio) Power Pages: Enabling Private Messaging & How to Use Macros (Power Pages)

Users online (3,963)